Ceiling plastering nightmare

i have been thinking about this a bit more and i have never come across a ceiling that comes out directly onto the glass of a window has anybody else? was the ceiling overboarded and thats why its down low? and surly if the skims touching the window it is going to get affected by the hot and cold weathers when the window gets hot and cold ect

You remind me of Rob Roy :LOL: Had your knee replacement yet :?: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Steve - sorry if I've confused you. When I referred to the window, it's a glass partition wall. So it's all fixed.
no problem, if are going to get your ceilings reskimmed at some point, come back on here and we can point you in the right direction
btw what part of london are you ? postcode

Steve - thanks

The painter has just done the bedroom ceiling and that doesn't look too good either. I just don't understand the plasterer.

I'm in SE1

Steve - thanks

The painter has just done the bedroom ceiling and that doesn't look too good either. I just don't understand the plasterer.

I'm in SE1

Overskim is not for the faint hearted. I would never opt to overskim.

Sponsored Links
Peats - I assume overskim is where you skim on top of existing plaster/paint, as opposed to skimming onto new boards?

Peats - I assume overskim is where you skim on top of existing plaster/paint, as opposed to skimming onto new boards?

Yes and the use of bonding agents is what shortens the life of the skim....

It's lazy to oveskim IMOA. It's also not the same asskimming to plasterboard, the finish reacts different.

It's lazy to oveskim IMOA. It's also not the same asskimming to plasterboard, the finish reacts different.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So you want to play instead of taking up the offer? Everyone should know your feeble excuse was because you are having a new knee fitted then you went on to challenge me to a skim off, show me how much you can lay on LMFAO all this with a f u c k ed up kneee :LOL:

I did ask for a ref from the pub job, yet another laugh, didn't know who you were :LOL:

Might just start posting some real truths about stevethecowboy ;) :eek:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So you want to play instead of taking up the offer? Everyone should know your feeble excuse was because you are having a new knee fitted then you went on to challenge me to a skim off, show me how much you can lay on LMFAO all this with a f***k ed up kneee :LOL:

I did ask for a ref from the pub job, yet another laugh, didn't know who you were :LOL:

Might just start posting some real truths about stevethecowboy ;) :eek:
i have told mas i wont be posting on here because you will ruin his post like you did the other ops posts i also said if you wanted to put me to the test its only fair i put you to the test which would involve skimming, and just for the record british gypsum recomend their bonding agents for thier plaster i dont think they would recomend it if it had an adverse effect on the plaster like shortening the life of it ipml, you dont reskim?pmsl again,you got a reaction out of me by baiting me and trolling me and taking the **** out of my bad leg from now on i wont be posting on anything you say about me or any other post for that matter, so say what you want sorry for this mas i wont post any more on here or your post will end up getting locked and ruined

Peaps - I'm not getting dragged in to any spat here , but why do you say not to over skim?

What weakens the plaster?

I've been in places that were reskimmed 20 years ago and are still fine, with diluted PVA as the bonding agent ( that was the industry standard then).

I've cut holes in/ taken down celings and wall with several layers of plaster in them, everything sound - and presumably PVA as the bonding agent.

and i thought everyone reskimmed!

As I type I'm looking at one that was reskimmed 16 years ago.

Still hanging on there.

You need to learn all about plastering then don't you..?

Over skim is an alternative method that doesn't have the self life of a good job. 16 years?!? When I plaster I expect it to be up a lifetime!

Oh you may want to phone Bgypsum and ask about the pros and cons of over skimming using a bonding agent.

and i thought everyone reskimmed!

As I type I'm looking at one that was reskimmed 16 years ago.

Still hanging on there.

You need to learn all about plastering then don't you..?

Over skim is an alternative method that doesn't have the self life of a good job. 16 years?!? When I plaster I expect it to be up a lifetime!

Oh you may want to phone Bgypsum and ask about the pros and cons of over skimming using a bonding agent.

Peaps........ your're missing the point again.

For a start, I don't think anyone can learn all about plastering. My dad has been doing it for over 45 years , myself over 25 years and we are learning every day. Anyone who thinks they have learned, or can learn it all k=just displays a lack of understanding of how wide and deep an experience that would require.

When I say I am looking at walls that are done 16 years ago, I am not saying the wall has a 'shelf life' of that time - but that after 16 years it is still perfect under the conditions that presumably will pertain for as long as I live here .

(If I'm spared and am living here in another ten years, then I'd consider 25 years to be good)

I also have been in other buildings that I've overskimmed over 20 years ago and know they are fine. I reckon if something has lasted for 20+ years, we don't need to hold our breath any longer for fear it may fall down. When you get a chance to see your work in 20 years time, I hope you have the same experience.

Phone BG? You are a funny guy, I'll give you that!

Pre Bondit, PVA was standard practice.Ask anyone, even BG who was around then

Now Bond-it is recommended by them for an over skim , or in their words

"High performance plaster bonding agent - specially formulated for use on smooth backgrounds"

"For use on smooth backgrounds e.g. concrete with Thistle Bonding Coat, or for re-skimming."

But as we know, getting your specs right hasn't been your strong suit in the past - maybe you are looking up the wrong PVA again.:cool:

Link here

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...le_plaster_bonding_agents/thistlebond-it.aspx

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back