Ceiling plastering nightmare

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We do get a little bit of niggle now and again- but what do you expect from people who stare at walls all day??????
A realisation of irony would be nice from the self-righteous would be nice ;) Irony-flatty in particular ;) :LOL:

and i thought everyone reskimmed!

As I type I'm looking at one that was reskimmed 16 years ago.

Still hanging on there.

You need to learn all about plastering then don't you..?

Over skim is an alternative method that doesn't have the self life of a good job. 16 years?!? When I plaster I expect it to be up a lifetime!

Oh you may want to phone Bgypsum and ask about the pros and cons of over skimming using a bonding agent.

Peaps........ your're missing the point again.

For a start, I don't think anyone can learn all about plastering. My dad has been doing it for over 45 years , myself over 25 years and we are learning every day. Anyone who thinks they have learned, or can learn it all k=just displays a lack of understanding of how wide and deep an experience that would require.

When I say I am looking at walls that are done 16 years ago, I am not saying the wall has a 'shelf life' of that time - but that after 16 years it is still perfect under the conditions that presumably will pertain for as long as I live here .

(If I'm spared and am living here in another ten years, then I'd consider 25 years to be good)

I also have been in other buildings that I've overskimmed over 20 years ago and know they are fine. I reckon if something has lasted for 20+ years, we don't need to hold our breath any longer for fear it may fall down. When you get a chance to see your work in 20 years time, I hope you have the same experience.

Phone BG? You are a funny guy, I'll give you that!

Pre Bondit, PVA was standard practice.Ask anyone, even BG who was around then

Now Bond-it is recommended by them for an over skim , or in their words

"High performance plaster bonding agent - specially formulated for use on smooth backgrounds"

"For use on smooth backgrounds e.g. concrete with Thistle Bonding Coat, or for re-skimming."

But as we know, getting your specs right hasn't been your strong suit in the past - maybe you are looking up the wrong PVA again.:cool:

Link here

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...le_plaster_bonding_agents/thistlebond-it.aspx

:cool:

Oh poor soul. We have already gone through the PVA rant but you still don't get it....

In my world we do a job to last no matter how long we live in the property but your stance speaks volumes to me.

British Gypsum have recomended many ways and products over the years and to the detriment of many old buildings.

But it's all in the method. There are so many things to go wrong when overskimming. Is the PVA correctly mix and applied ( you do know that BG develop their products in a lab enviroment do you not?) What state is the area to be overskimmed ie: is the paint still degrading etc... You applyPVA probably not mixed correctly skim take the cash and run. When The right job to do would be to rip it down, board and skim....

I went to do a ceiling a while back, it had plaster lifting in two areas in the livingroom both above radiators. It was due to the lady of the house drying her washing on them, caused the PVA on the ceiling to fail. When asked when it was skimmed she said it was about 8 years ago....

If a job is worth doing it's worth doing right instead of giving the quick fix alternative inorder to make get the job.

Yes and the use of bonding agents is what shortens the life of the skim....

It's lazy to oveskim IMOA. It's also not the same asskimming to plasterboard, the finish reacts different.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So you want to play instead of taking up the offer? Everyone should know your feeble excuse was because you are having a new knee fitted then you went on to challenge me to a skim off, show me how much you can lay on LMFAO all this with a f***k ed up kneee :LOL:

I did ask for a ref from the pub job, yet another laugh, didn't know who you were :LOL:

Might just start posting some real truths about stevethecowboy ;) :eek:
i have told mas i wont be posting on here because you will ruin his post like you did the other ops posts i also said if you wanted to put me to the test its only fair i put you to the test which would involve skimming, and just for the record british gypsum recomend their bonding agents for thier plaster i dont think they would recomend it if it had an adverse effect on the plaster like shortening the life of it ipml, you dont reskim?pmsl again,you got a reaction out of me by baiting me and trolling me and taking the p**s out of my bad leg from now on i wont be posting on anything you say about me or any other post for that matter, so say what you want sorry for this mas i wont post any more on here or your post will end up getting locked and ruined

But you posted all the same.

Oh poor soul. We have already gone through the PVA rant but you still don't get it....

In my world we do a job to last no matter how long we live in the property but your stance speaks volumes to me.

British Gypsum have recomended many ways and products over the years and to the detriment of many old buildings.

But it's all in the method. There are so many things to go wrong when overskimming. Is the PVA correctly mix and applied ( you do know that BG develop their products in a lab enviroment do you not?) What state is the area to be overskimmed ie: is the paint still degrading etc... You applyPVA probably not mixed correctly skim take the cash and run. When The right job to do would be to rip it down, board and skim....

I went to do a ceiling a while back, it had plaster lifting in two areas in the livingroom both above radiators. It was due to the lady of the house drying her washing on them, caused the PVA on the ceiling to fail. When asked when it was skimmed she said it was about 8 years ago....

If a job is worth doing it's worth doing right instead of giving the quick fix alternative inorder to make get the job.

Hang on peaps - it was YOU who suggested ringing BG rather than giving me a reason why PVA/bonding agents don't work, so it's a bit rich disregarding their tech info because it doesn't agree with you!

What is my 'stance' ? - I asked you to say why you would not over skim, specifics of why properly applied, an overskim will cause problems.

Of course we agree it's all in the method - you could say any applikcation depends of it being done properly . But I am saying PVA applied properly to a sound substrate , in the right conditions will last a lifetime - the proof being it has already done so for over 20 years in my experience.. hardly a quick fix.......

(Now I do prefer SBR or Bond it than PVA because of the issues with moisture)

Your quote here

There are so many things to go wrong when overskimming. Is the PVA correctly mix and applied ( you do know that BG develop their products in a lab enviroment do you not?) What state is the area to be overskimmed ie: is the paint still degrading etc... You applyPVA probably not mixed correctly skim take the cash and run. When The right job to do would be to rip it down, board and skim....

First off , it's easy to mix PVA the right strength, so lets discount that one - I am asking about it being properly applied.

Secondly - is the paint degrading - again discount this as properly done, all unsuitable substrate would be removed. Also a physical key with sparrowpecking or scoring would be advisable with PVA

Take the cash and run? You are setting up a straw man to knock down. Who is saying to the OP that the PVA should be done incorrectly?

Plasterboard could be incorrectly screwed up, not enough fixings or screws going thru the paper - doesn't mean plasterboarding is rubbish, but the guy who applied it is.

What would you do with a solid wall that needed reskimming. Would you advise hacking it all off, or sticking plasterboard on it?

As for a quick fix - if someone told me

a) I can give you something that will last 20+ years (overskim)

or b) charge you extra, make a bigger mess and take longer (take down and overboard) but you won't tell the difference at the end of the day

Who is then looking like the guy interested in the cash.

To sum up -

sometimes better to rip down and start again
sometimes better to overboard
sometimes better to overskim

All done properly in the right context are options.

Hang on peaps - it was YOU who suggested ringing BG rather than giving me a reason why PVA/bonding agents don't work, so it's a bit rich disregarding their tech info because it doesn't agree with you

Did I..?

Pva not work, did I..?

Mmmm...

I sugest you keep up I'm sure you are a man who is able to sift through my crap English.

I suggested you ring BG to ask them for advice and data on PVA life and would they recomend reboarding or skimming over with PVA.

Pros and cons lesson in how not to get yourself in a mess by quoting company recomendations of products.

I will drag myself through the rest later

:rolleyes:

Hang on peaps - it was YOU who suggested ringing BG rather than giving me a reason why PVA/bonding agents don't work, so it's a bit rich disregarding their tech info because it doesn't agree with you

Did I..?

Pva not work, did I..?

Mmmm...

I sugest you keep up I'm sure you are a man who is able to sift through my crap English.

I suggested you ring BG to ask them for advice and data on PVA life and would they recomend reboarding or skimming over with PVA.

Pros and cons lesson in how not to get yourself in a mess by quoting company recomendations of products.

I will drag myself through the rest later

:rolleyes:

As to the above- my interpretation of this exchange is as follows

- I asked for your reasons on why overskimming would not work,

- You responded by asking BG about the pros and cons of bonding agents.

- I did , and they recommend their bonding agent for overskimming

- you maintain PVA is not suitable, eventually giving an example of failure ( not that is weakens plaster, which was your original assertion, but that it broke down itself)

_ i've given examples of it working, but agree with you that there are better alternatives in different circumstances - And I use the bondit or WBA nowa ays. BUT I still over skim without any issues.

Peaps - all I was asking for you was why you would not recommend an over skim. It's called sharing and learning, which is what this forum is all about.

Your first remark was ' You need to learn all about plastering then don't you'

That was why I was asking ! And lets be fair, it was hardly a remark to lead to a good exchange.

It's no good saying don't do it because it's no good - why is it no good?

I did speak to BG as you suggested, and they do recommend overskimming - with their bonding agent which is a replacement, in their words, for the previous use of PVA.

You could have said to me - PVA is unsuitable where the area may be subject to high levels of humidity or moisture, then given the example of the lady drying her clothes.

You could have said to me - BG no longer recommend PVA , and will only recommend their Thislte Bond it bonding agent for over skimming

You could have said - So many people do not know how to use PVA correctly , that it is better to use an alternative, especially where the substrate is not sound.

Why not just set out your case .

I've cut holes in/ taken down celings and wall with several layers of plaster in them, everything sound - and presumably PVA as the bonding agent.

One might ask why so many skims the ceiling in question needed over it's lifetime..? Maybe, just maybe, if the job was done by reboarding and a fresh skim it would still be up today without the periodic skim after the "bonding had failed ;)

This is my point. I say 80+ is a lifetime not the industry standard 20.

Examples -

Leak in ceiling, patch needed, whole ceiling skimmed

Lighting change in ceiling, so celing reskimmed

Other Services, ditto.

'Periodic skim' is not really the term - it's done for a reason,as above , not because of time elapsed. Who said the bonding had failed in my examples?

Any thoughts on reskimming a solid wall? Would you go for hacking it all off or a reskim - assuming the substrate was sound but damaged?

I do like to learn through specific information........would be nice if we could stick to the detail

If pva or bonding agent is properly applied as per spec would you still advise taking the ceiling down and reboarding?

Examples -

Leak in ceiling, patch needed, whole ceiling skimmed

Lighting change in ceiling, so celing reskimmed

Other Services, ditto.

Conjecture all the same.... Problems is that you can spend all day fitting scenarios to meet your need.

'Periodic skim' is not really the term - it's done for a reason,as above , not because of time elapsed. Who said the bonding had failed in my examples?

My use of the word. Yes it's done for a reason and that reason could be anything. I same PVA failed.

Any thoughts on reskimming a solid wall? Would you go for hacking it all off or a reskim - assuming the substrate was sound but damaged?

Assuming again..? What do you want me to do, answer for you to add another assumption?

I would repair the area that needed. I don't overskim with pva.

I do like to learn through specific information........would be nice if we could stick to the detail

Detail? You have enough. PVA is not a long term solution in plastering, your multi layered ceiling tells us all that much.

If pva or bonding agent is properly applied as per spec would you still advise taking the ceiling down and reboarding?

Yes I would first advise the removal rather than overskim.

asleep-045.gif

It seems that whatever Bo Peap does and uses is right, and everybody/everything else is wrong.
Bog off Peaps!!! and regardless of what you think or say, we've all read enough of your usual, arrogant, c rap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back