Ceiling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, was attempting to scrape off high points on ceiling in preparation for sealing up. The damned scraper is just bouncing over the top of what I can only describe as internal roughcast. Was thinking how to get round this. Should I
A- Apply WBA to ceiling then x3 skim over that?
B- Seal and PVA ceiling then tight coat of bonding then skim x2 over that?
C- Seal and PVA ceiling as is then x3 skim as normal?
The stuff on the ceiling is rock hard and painted over, tried a floor scraper and a hand scraper that I filed a sharp edge and both are unable to get decent results. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
You could do a three coat bonded ceiling.

WBA then apply bonding to level out, then two coat skim with multi. You will need to PVA the bonding to control suction. Or use up the rest of the WBA ;)

Thanks for such a quick reply! Really appreciate your advice. Will start doing it right now.

Thanks for such a quick reply! Really appreciate your advice. Will start doing it right now.

Just make sure you put plenty PVA/WBA on the bonding before you skim. Keep the work rate down if you can help it.

Sponsored Links
Why PVA/wba on the bonding? If the ceiling is WBA'd the bonding will hold moisture for ages, plenty of time to put a tight coat on, flatten up and then skim on, which will add more moisture. ive done large artexed ceilings like this before with no problems at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back