Ceiling Rose 2 Close Mounted Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope somebody can help me?

I have just bought a new Close- mounted ceiling light and therefore need to remove the ceiling rose to accommodate this. I'm a little unsure as to a couple of the wires I'm seeing and where they should now be fitted.

Basically when I have removed the ceiling rose I have the following wires...

3 earths
2 neutrals
3 lives (reds)
1 yellow wire with red tape on it (is this a switch return wire?)
1 blue wire with red tape also on it (is this a switch return wire?)

the new light fitting has the standard 1 each of L/N/E wires.

My understanding is that I can forget about the 3 reds, the 3 earths will go into the earth on my new fitting, the 2 neutrals will go into the neutral on my new fitting, but what about the yellow and blue wires with the red tape on ?? Where do they go??? What purpose do they serve?

The actual light location is on my landing, so it can be turned on/off either upstairs or downstairs.

Any suggestions.......?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you notice which terminals your old lamp was connected to?

the neutral was connected to the far left on the neutral block and the live was connected to the far right on the live block.....

then you need to connect the new lamp in the same way. If it has insufficient terminals to accommodate all the other wires (connected the same way as before) then you will need to use a junction box or choc-block tucked inside the lamp enclosure (as it is in a bathroom I assume it is an enclosed lamp). It can be an advantage to use a low-energy compact fluorescent in enclosed lamps as they can otherwise get very hot.

When you are sketching the "old" wiring layout for later replication, you may find it helpful to write on the cable sheaths with a fibre-tip pen.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back