Ceiling rose - again.. (updated with picture)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know this has been posted before & I read the reference page but cant find the same setup as mine.

Im trying to fit a new light fitting to the old style red/black loop.

I have 2 black together ,2red & 1 black together , and 1 red along with a bare earth wire coming out of the ceiling.

My new light is just blue,brown,green.

Ive tried to attatch a picture to help you see what I mean..

Can anyone tell me which to attatch where?

Many thanks...[imgimg]

Sponsored Links
So you have got four black and and two red in total, that doesn't seem to sound right, are you sure you have got that right?

Hi the warden,

A picture would certainly help, as something sounds wrong with the number/colour combination you have.

You need to first upload a picture to an image hosting site such as http://imageshack.us/ or www.flikr.com, then copy the URL address and insert that between the img tags in your post.

Are you sure the 1 red/2 black and 1 red/bare earth are not actually two red/black/earth cables, and then one cable with two blacks? - though even that would be unusual and/or incorrect.

A multimeter is the best chance of working out whats going on here. You are most likely to have one incoming permanent live cable, one outgoing to the next light, and one switch cable.

Where is this light? There isn't a 2 way switch involved somewhere is there? (i.e. the light can be switched on/off from more than one location?)

If you can get a pic up I'm sure someone will be able to give you some pointers....

Gavin

Hi the warden,

A picture would certainly help, as something sounds wrong with the number/colour combination you have.

You need to first upload a picture to an image hosting site such as http://imageshack.us/ or www.flikr.com, then copy the URL address and insert that between the img tags in your post.

Are you sure the 1 red/2 black and 1 red/bare earth are not actually two red/black/earth cables, and then one cable with two blacks? - though even that would be unusual and/or incorrect.

A multimeter is the best chance of working out whats going on here. You are most likely to have one incoming permanent live cable, one outgoing to the next light, and one switch cable.

Where is this light? There isn't a 2 way switch involved somewhere is there? (i.e. the light can be switched on/off from more than one location?)

If you can get a pic up I'm sure someone will be able to give you some pointers....

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Which of these wire cobinations you speak of is attached to which wire in the existing fitting??

Theres reds missing... maybe you also have some reds together in the ceiling void ? Just one earth also tells me theres more above the ceiling. Switch off the breaker for the lights (or pull the fuse) and try to pull out everything inc. conn. blocks and then start from there.

Im really sorry, I got it wrong.

Thanks to pcboffinuk for the info on uploading pictures.

As you can see for the picture its 2 black, 2 red & 1 black and 1 red, and also a bare wire..

Many thanks for the replies so far.

going from the diagram and a bit of educated guesswork i think the following is the most likely

the two reds and black are the permanent live (to be joined together but not connected to the fitting)

the red on its own is the switched live (going to the live on the fitting)

the two blacks connected together are neutral

the bare wire should be earth but there should be one earth from each cable not just one total (are you sure the bare wire your seeing isn't multiple wires twisted together). Remember to sleeve it to identify it as earth and prevent it touching other connections.

ok Thanks. Yes, the bare wire is multiple twisted.

Ive tried connecting as suggested but there is no power to the light.

can you get access from above an trace where the cables go?

do you know what switch is supposed to control the light and if so can you take a look at the wiring there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back