Ceiling Rose low voltage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PXL_20230729_150125690.jpg

I am trying to replace the hanging bulb light in my back room with a low power square ceiling light and when I have taken the ceiling rose off I have see this which seems very odd. There are 4 red wires going into the centre and three black wires going into the bottom connector together with the brown going to the light, top is one black in and the blue out to the light. Why so many wires?

I have reconnected up as is and when I turn the light on the low power square one does not turn on, I have used a MM on the outputs and it goes from 0V to approx 130v when on. There is only one light in this setup ie another is not turned on at the same time.

Any idea what is going on?

Sponsored Links
The wiring is pretty standard, feed in and out switch wire and a feed to somewhere else could be an outside light etc.

Sponsored Links
We can only guess, and my guess is wrong black wire used some where so you have ended up with two lights in series. When switched on to any other lights come on or glow or flash?

I have used a MM on the outputs and it goes from 0V to approx 130v when on.

Your MM is likely a high impedance one/ presents little load to the wire, so the MM is measuring voltage picked up from other wires which are actually live. In other words, the wire is not actually live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back