Ceiling Rose / Plaster Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I have just bought a ceiling light to replace an existing one in the living room. It is a job I will be ringing an electrician about, but I wanted to know the extent of the work involved.

The old light is situated on top of a plaster decorative ceiling rose, which I would like to keep. When the old light is removed there is just a wire coming through the centre with all the wiring and connections presumably in the ceiling.

I wanted to know whether an electrician would just:
a.) drill new holes to attach the new light fitting to the ceiling and somehow wire the existing cabling to the new light.
b.) Remove the centre portion of the ceiling rose, do the work and plaster it back up.
c.) Go in through the upstairs ceiling - I am loathe to have anyone do this as the carpet never goes back right.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully the old fitting is securely screwed to 'something' already, and hopefully the fixing holes on the new fitting will line up with the holes on the old fitting.

If not, he can drill new holes, and hopefully get a good fixing.

There shouldn't be any need to cut bits out of the rose, or remove any flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back