Ceiling Rose - single wire in loop block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a ceiling rose, but the existing wiring doesn't match my expectation, nor any diagrams I can find to explain it. It is a single pendant controlled by 2 switches. Image of the rose:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr5sfeslrt1xehz/IMG_20150224_204329.jpg?dl=0

My current thinking is this must be wired to a junction box with just one of the cables, but then slightly concerning where the broken circuit goes to?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Oh. Somehow that makes it harder to put it right!

Out of interest, does the lamp (bulb) seem dim?

I only ask as it's been wired a very strange way.

If it seems bright enough, I would then suggest you send photos of any switches and relevent junction boxes to try to determine how it's been wired and how we can improve it (if it needs it).

Sponsored Links
There's no hidden link between the two blocks holding the blue wires?

It's all very weird, it all looks like flex to me. The ring crimps are a nice touch though

How many individual fittings are operated by the switches?
What wiring do you have at the switches?

My train of thought is maybe more than one fitting, the neutrals and lives have been looped in at another accessory. But a switch live has still required for a second light fitting or possibly an ex-fan.

So the previous installer, used a t&e to do this and parked the spare blue in the ceiling rose live loop.

Clearly centre blue does nothing it is just kept safely out of the way. So we have two switched line and a neutral assuming correct colours. So looking at a standard wiring diagram
two-way-real.bmp
then it would seem permanent line has been taken to both switches direct likely by borrowing from next door switch, one single wire between the switches and switched line from both switches direct to ceiling rose.

One wonders why and only thought is some one was trying to get away with using twin and earth instead of triple and earth between switches.

So the top wire shown in diagram has been joined at the ceiling rose.

We do have a problem with our wiring. In the days where we used tungsten bulbs we could ignore the rules for transmission lines although we should always run the line and neutral together we have traditionally run just the line to the switch the miss match caused by such a short run with not a problem with tungsten bulbs. However today using low energy bulbs this miss match can cause the bulbs to light dimmed or flash. This is more of a problem with two way lighting as the line is run separate from neutral for longer. This could be some ones attempt to reduce the effect?

Clearly centre blue does nothing it is just kept safely out of the way.
A random thought which occurred to me, but I didn't (and haven't) pursued it to see if it holds water was that maybe the centre blue is a N from another circuit - if this is a landing light with the "old-school" way of wiring 2-way hall/landing switches, and then later the up/down circuits are split, a borrowed neutral arises. Maybe a N from the downstairs circuit was run to the rose.

Ban could be on the right track.

It could be just an un-used core.

I wonder what's behind that ceiling rose?

Maybe the wires we can see are the remains of a previous light fitting, and perhaps there's a joint immediately behind that rose...

It's all very weird, it all looks like flex to me.

You can use flex, just not very professional and is usually more expensive than T&E.

There's no hidden link between the two blocks holding the blue wires?

Very much doubt it, although cant tell for sure . The middle blue wire may be a borrowed neutral as BAS said or may just be a old and unused switched live what has not been sleeved brown.

For the two brown wires joined together, may very well be what ericmark said or it could be only one brown wire is carrying current and the other is doing nothing and is terminated somewhere else.

So we have two switched line and a neutral assuming correct colours

I learned that Brown is L1, Grey is L2, and Black is Common.

The switches are wired as would be expected.

However, as you will have noticed, there are no brown/blue cored cables there.

Therefore the switches are either wired from another light or there is a junction box somewhere to which the pictured light is connected.

Those flexes are 'tinned', the sort often used on light fittings.

My money is on some bodger has removed a fancy light fitting where the main joint is a connector block pushed into the ceiling void, which has been left up there.

SO please LOOK BEHIND THE CEILING ROSE.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back