Ceiling Rose - single wire in loop block?

Thanks! I had tried to get behind that rose before and given up. With a lot more wiggling, here we have it:

So I think the 2 browns and 2 blues from the rose are both just connected up together - and that lone blue wire in the center block was just being kept out of the way.

I think I am therefore already at step #3 on
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

and should lose the fantastically well wrapped connector blocks, put the switch live (black with red) into the new light's L, put the two blacks together into the new light's N, + all the earths?

Sponsored Links
You got it. Wire it as you describe.

As you can see, the blue that was on it's own was in fact connected to neutral, but not at the rose.

I hope your going to put all those loose connections in a suitable enclosure such as a maintenance free junction box.

I hope your going to put all those loose connections in a suitable enclosure such as a maintenance free junction box.

WHY would he?

He's already said how he's going to do it. He's ditching the connector block and the bits of flex dangling from it.
The first post indicates he will be using a new ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Just goes to show that when you look at a seemingly neat and tidy install, as in the first picture, there is no way of knowing what horrific bodge might be behind (or, literally, above in this case) it.

(the flex was an obvious clue, though!)

Surely there won't be any when it's done properly.

I was referring to any connections above and outside the light fitting of course.

I hope you were not calling me a stupid boy sparkright?

Of course I was.

:evil: :evil: :!:

I would have thought through interpretation and common sense one would be able to understand that I was effectively saying don't leave the connections above the rose in their current state.

lose the fantastically well wrapped connector blocks, put the switch live (black with red) into the new light's L, put the two blacks together into the new light's N, + all the earths

Without me sounding like I'm trying to be awkward, he knew all that, and I also confirmed it for him.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back