Ceiling rose to new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This should have been easy but now I’m just bloody confused!

new fitting has a three connection block, I get this, I get the earth connection to earth. But where do the black/red, black, and blue wires go in relation to the brown and blue from the light fitting.

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks - Stu
8DCD985D-9D8E-483F-AC67-C89874981EFD.jpeg
09D71A29-D99E-4500-AB62-80E13A0EDAA2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It's quite a small terminal block and difficult to make out which wire is which. The Black with Red sleeving is the switched live from the light switch which needs to be terminated into the Live of your light. The neutrals all need to be connected to fit into the neutral terminal somehow maybe a single leg from a Wago block to join them all, have you a shot of your light to see what/how much space it has inside it? All the Lives fit together hope the picture helps.

ceiling-rose-diagram.jpg

It looks like you have three cables there? Hard to tell.
I guess you forgot to take a photo if where they went before you disconnected them? Thought not.:rolleyes:

in that case all you need to do is follow Chivers diagram. The wire marked “from switch live” is the black wire with the red tape on it.

You haven't said if you have a sketch or photo of how it was connected before you started.

Because we don't have that, we can take an educated guess.

Black with red tape = live of light fitting
Plain black + grey with blue sleeve = neutral of light fitting.

Sponsored Links
You haven't said if you have a sketch or photo of how it was connected before you started.

Because we don't have that, we can take an educated guess.

Black with red tape = live of light fitting
Plain black + grey with blue sleeve = neutral of light fitting.
Ok - so, don’t judge but yes as soon as I disconnected everything I thought ‘shoulda taken a pic of that’ hindsight is a bitch! Equally the ceiling rose I removed was completely different to the one I’m fitting. I’ve followed the advice @sparkwright and bingo! Everything works thank you!!! No sparks, no tripping, I’m still alive and everything witches on and off as expected.

Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back