Ceiling seam - now creating a shadow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I can see what I believe are ceiling seams both upstairs and downstairs in my ceilings, but I have become aware of one downstairs that seems more noticeable.

I don't think it was this bad before because now it has created a shadow in the ceiling both with natural daylight and when the ceiling light is on. Now I notice it every time I walk in the room, of course and it's driving me mad. There isn't any cracking but I do have a crack on an adjacent wall that has been there for or several years. I've been keeping an eye on it but it hasn't got any worse but I just haven't got around to redecorating.

Any ideas why this would happen? I'm concerned there has been some movement.

IMG_20230729_124106 (2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_163150.jpg
    IMG_20230730_163150.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Looking at the high ceiling and the pipe/cable boxing I'm guessing this is a fairly old house. Old houses do often move about slightly - weather, temperature etc. If it's just appeared yes, something has moved slightly, but not worth worrying about. Obviously if it develops then investigation would be needed, but IMO that doesn't warrant getting worried.

Hi

I can see what I believe are ceiling seams both upstairs and downstairs in my ceilings, but I have become aware of one downstairs that seems more noticeable.

I don't think it was this bad before because now it has created a shadow in the ceiling both with natural daylight and when the ceiling light is on. Now I notice it every time I walk in the room, of course and it's driving me mad. There isn't any cracking but I do have a crack on an adjacent wall that has been there for or several years. I've been keeping an eye on it but it hasn't got any worse but I just haven't got around to redecorating.

Any ideas why this would happen? I'm concerned there has been some movement.

View attachment 309594
Time to lift some boards in the floor above

Sponsored Links
Looking at the high ceiling and the pipe/cable boxing I'm guessing this is a fairly old house. Old houses do often move about slightly - weather, temperature etc. If it's just appeared yes, something has moved slightly, but not worth worrying about. Obviously if it develops then investigation would be needed, but IMO that doesn't warrant getting worried.
It was actually built in 1979 but has high ceilings and a suspended timber floor.

OK, so I'm freaking out now. I am on my own in the house so will have to call someone in. Who do I call? Builder, structural engineer? Could it be subsidence but then I don't understand what I'm looking for in the loft. Looks fine to me up there this morning. Everything is dry and I can't see any obvious damp patches.

OK, so I'm freaking out now. I am on my own in the house so will have to call someone in. Who do I call? Builder, structural engineer? Could it be subsidence but then I don't understand what I'm looking for in the loft. Looks fine to me up there this morning. Everything is dry and I can't see any obvious damp patches.
You are worrying too much!! Unless cracks start appearing, a slight change in a timber causing the very slightest of shadow lines on a ceiling is not a reason to start digging in to your house. If there are no other signs - damp patches, cracks etc, it's most likely just movement caused by temperature and/or humidity change. Timbers will move about very slightly under changing conditions. Also the ground will move slightly with changes of conditions, trees etc. It's only a problem if it is progressive and getting gradually worse.

OK, so I'm freaking out now.
No need. These are just cosmetic, caused by slight movement of the joints between ceiling boards. Getting rid of them completely won't be a simple job though, especially with the textured finish.

PS. don't go sanding anything without first having the textured material tested?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back