Ceiling spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lath and plaster ceilings in our 1930s house which we bought last year. There are 5 B&Q type halogen spots in the kitchen and several in the hallway (the latter are low voltage). Non appear to be fire rated (if thats the term).

The spots are set directly into the ceiling, with circular holes cut in the laths and the clips gripped to these. I know these sport of spots would be okay for standard platerboard ceilings, but is it okay for them to remain in the lath and plaster? Also, one spot in the hall is very close to a ceiling joist (10mm?). They have been working fine for at least a year, but after lifting some upstairs floorboards and seeing them from above, the heat and potential fire hazard concerns me. Are there any rules that apply/have been broken here, and should I be doing anything to make them safer.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received (although we would not wish to move away from spots if possible). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If by "fire rated" you mean marked with an F in a triangle, i.e. suitable for mounting on normally flammable surfaces, then yes they should be.

When you took the boards up could you see heat damage anywhere?

Thanks for the reply.

I can't see any sign of burning, heat damage or the like. We have had the lights on for three or four hours at the time and the ones in the kitchen become too hot to touch naturally, but no more than that.

Its just with the lath wood being so dry Im nervous. Should I protect the cut ends with foil or something to dissipate the heat?

Are there any regulations on this?

Thanks

Only that the fittings should be "F" marked, as Ban said. Are they?

Sponsored Links
As I understand, lath and plaster ceilings are also known for their ability to spontaneously "delaminate" and, at worst, collapse onto the floor below. I have heard of downlighters becoming loose very quickly in such ceilings and have seen it advised to place a plywwod bearer (a square piece with a hole in it) above the ceiling to protect its structural integrity from being compromised by the light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back