ceiling switch for extractor and lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to check i'm doing the right thing with the right stuff! I'm replacing the pull cord switch in the bathroom which switches two lights and a fan.
I reckon i need a double pole ceiling switch and put the lights' lives into one live terminal and the fan separate with a bridging wire to the switched live, am i about to blow up my flat or am i on the right track? :)

Sponsored Links
you cant have plate switches in a bathroom ( you said replacing your pull cord switch)

you can how ever put them outside

Breezer - you've had too many namesakes - where did popsicle say he wanted to use a plateswitch?

Popsicle - you almost certainly do not need a DP switch - check the existing one first, to see what it is, as the fan supply may well be taken from the ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
umm.... the old one was trashed and we chucked it out
i know that was dim, but it's done now, how do i find out what it should be if it's not a dp?

we have three cables each with live neutral and earth, but one does one light, the other does the other light and the third does nothing on uits ow, however when you put the third live through as switched live the fan works.....

confused? i sure am! :oops:

Are you sure that's what you have at the switch?

When you say "live neutral and earth", do you mean red, black and earth? It's uncommon to have neutral cores at a light switch - see the For Reference topic - usually a cable takes permanent live to the switch with the red core, and takes the switched live back to the light with the black core. Which is supposed to be marked with red sleeving, but rarely is.

With all 3 cables disconnected, which cores are live?

Not sure what's confusing you about the fan - why do you not think it's right that it shouldn't work until you give it a switched live?

The fan should have two lives..one via the outside (or pull) switch and a seperate live to keep the fan running (for a short time) after switching of

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back