Ceiling to floor cabinet that blends in with wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to build some basic storage in some unused place in the kitchen. Essentially I want to build an L shaped cabinet with a door on it. Could be on the narrow or wide edge.

I suspect I could just build a frame and then use wood to close it off and get a cabinet door.

However I wanted it to blend into the wall. What wood/coating would be recommended so that I can use the same paint as I would do on the kitchen wall?

Any ideas on the correct methods/materials/doors to use would also be very helpful :)

Attachments

• lens_processed_180204222636088-1.jpg
    lens_processed_180204222636088-1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxhole!

Would it be normal to box it off at the height of the door frame or could it be taken to the ceiling and then offset the coving? or would you advise against that for any reason?

I would take to ceiling, but personal choice, don't like high surfaces collecting dust.

Sponsored Links
I have one similar, it goes right to the ceiling so it looks more like wall. IIRC the frame is about 35mm sq. There is an inside ply skin. Lay out the frame so you can fix shelf supports, or rails for pull-out baskets, screwed through to the frame. It is much easier than having to drill and plug a wall.

You can put shelves and/or cabinet doors on the higher part if you want, for lightweight things you seldom use (Xmas decs, sandwich toaster)

You may want a socket in there.

Thanks Guys! JohnD thanks for the tips! would you have any pics that you could share?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back