ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dear all
we recently took down paper from the bathroom ceiling as you can imagine the condition underneath was awful , what is the easiest way of rectifiying the situation , without getting it skimmed
yours stove

Sponsored Links
What are the condition of the ceiling, hairline cracks etc?

Dear Stove

If you find a cheaper way of doing this please don't tell me. A couple of weeks ago my wife stripped the anaglypta off our living-room ceiling and the plaster underneath was awful. It had hairline cracks and a covering of paint that either fell off or stuck like s**t. We had to have it re-boarded and skimmed, and together with having one wall skimmed it cost us £600.

I hope yours is easier!

Yours,

Petewood

If you've only got small cracks and scabby paint to sort. I'd recommend the Polycell smoothover. I've seen some pretty awefull looking finishes brought back to a professional looking finish by rank amateurs with this stuff.

Sponsored Links
Easi-fill is another one to use, very easy to sand down as well.

Dear all ,
i think i may well try using plasterboard adhesive , wet mix apply with brush then stipple
i really take my hat off to trdesman or indeed a good all rounder ,they make most jobs look easy which we all know to our eternal misery are far from it anyhoo will let you all know the outcome of my latest efforts
ta ta
STOVE

all my ceilings were really bad, so had them all skimmed along with the walls. When I got to the box room however I'd run out of time and cash so scraped off the loose paint, raked out & filled the cracks with ultra light filler (spackling), gave a light sand, filled a little more, sanded, painted with crack free ceiling paint and finished with a contract emulsion (all materials I had leftover) and it looked as good as the skimmed ceilings! Didn't take long, and it was a welcome break from painting spindles... :LOL:

You could always reboard then artex...

I know artex isn't to everyone's taste, but I did it with my parents' shower room ceiling and it is as easy as painting it.

Removing the old boards is a messy job, but it isn't 'alf fun. You spend all those years making sure not to put your foot through the ceiling when in the loft, and finally you get to give it a good booting. And if you're married you only have to clean up the big bits, they do the dust and stuff for you!

So, artex roller (for stippled effect), jointing tape, and a tub of artex. Easy.

If the boards are OK, you could just give it a couple of coats of PVA, let that dry, then artex straight onto them. That is probably the easiest DIY solution. :idea:

I had this problem a few years ago now, before Smooth Over etc, were available, so I covered the ceiling with t & g cladding, which I found reasonably cheap to do. It was quite simple to screw battens to the joists, and then do the cladding. I finished it with 2 coats of varnish, and have never had to touch it since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back