getting blown vinyl off the ceiling

Maz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have just moved into a new house that had an elderly owner. ALL the ceiling have blown vinyl, which I am not a fan off, especially on ceilings. I asked at B&Q about what they thought I should do and they said don't touch it with a barge pole as the ceiling underneath was probably awful if they had wallpapered over it in the first place. They suggested just getting thick ceiling wall paper and papering over it. I am a bit dubious about this. Any other suggestions? Ideally i would like to not have ot paper the ceiling at all

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
have a go in the smallest room or a room your not to fussy about and that should give you an idea, get yourself a blade scraper about two foot long with a six inch blade.the top layer of blown vynl usually comes off quite easy, then wet whats left and scrape off, it should give you an idea how easy the rest comes off and what kind of damage the ceilings are in. blown vinl on ceilings was once quite fashionable just like flat walls and ceilings now, so the ceilings might be sound.

I do not think the advice from B & Q was very good.

Blown vinyl was quite popular for ceilings. I have got 2 rooms with it on at present, it is there because it matches the walls. I know the ceilings are o.k. underneath.

I have removed it from one ceiling, and it was not too difficult, I have tackled many worse jobs.

Also, it does not seem right to me, to put on yet another layer of paper, if you carry on doing this, you will soon be scraping you head on it. :)

Thank you! some more questions

do you think ti woudl be okay just to take the top layer off and then papered over that?

alternatively, if I don't have teh most perfect ceiling in the world, can I just plug holes and paint over it?

alternativley number 2, if the ceiling is awful, will it cost me an arm and a leg to get it redone?

M

Sponsored Links
I do not think ceilings suffer like walls, and usually are o.k.

It is usually possible just to paper them with lining paper, and then emulsion over this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back