Celcon Foundation Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've used two courses of Celcon foundation blocks to get me up to a good ground level for a conservatory dwarf wall.

However, I assumed because they could be used below DPC that they could be used above ground. I did not think about frost being new to these.

Basically, in the worst area I have almost whole foundation blocks showing.

Is this a major concern (i.e should I remove the second course and use something else) or will it be sufficient to render down the just below ground level and that will be enough to protect them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The frost is only a problem if it gets wet: When the water freezes it expands and chips the block. After some time the ground would be covered in trench block dust. If you can ensure that water in the block doesn't freeze it won't happen..

The frost is only a problem if it gets wet:

Unless the OP is building a conservatory in the Sahara, then a foundation block is going to get wet.

I suspect that 95% winter humidity, a rapid temperature drop, and an air frost may also have an impact.

Is this a major concern

I thought all this was mentioned in your original thread several weeks ago? ie don't use these blocks in that location

Thanks woody. Yes it as mentioned a few weeks back. Perhaps I miss understood. I thought we were talking about celcon Foundation blocks full stop. I didn't realise we meant just at ground level. Expensive mistake on my part!

Perhaps it would be wiser to demolish the second course and just have the one course below ground. I have some dense concrete blocks turning up tomorrow so I can use them in its place. Only £50 down the drain but a lot of time and a set back but hey could have been worse :)

Sponsored Links
Woody, are celcon ok on the inside skin below dpc or shall i just use concrete blocks for all below dpc?

Only asking because I will have enough to do the lot but if it's not recommended I will avoid

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back