Celebrations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been watching all the celebrations around the world with everyone partying into the night and having fun etc.

The question is why is there a cause for mass celebrations when it is a new year? What benefit does having a new yr bring to people?

I know I sound like Joe but the new yr is not exactly a highlight to anyones life! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Look forward to the future whilst being grateful for the past.

Sponsored Links
my old dad always used to have a count of heads and if no one was missing he would say thats what celebrating the new year was about

so why don't we celebrate a new season?, or a new month?, or a new week?, or a new day? (you can see where this is going !!!)

In hindsight, maybe we do celebrate each new week !!

But each month or season?

I celebrate each new morning in the comfort that my missus requires a cup of coffee and once made she is quiet for awhile!

Every day you, your wife/partner/child/children are alive is a celebration.
You miserable barstewards. Esp you martian on this one.

Or have you no family or children?

In many countries, perhaps some would call them third world countries, where regulation and registration is not so rife as here, individuals and parents may not know their birthday or that of their children.
So they all have the same birthday, New Years Day, everyone is one year older.
So, to many, it's New Year and their birthday.

For instance, if you ask an east asian person when their birthday is, you might be advised simply, that they were born in the year of the dragon, or ox, or pig, or whatever.

So, let me be the first to wish everyone:
kung hei fat choi for the 23rd January 2012.

May I also wish everyone a happy bhogi pongal in advance, just in case I miss it!
Fascinating! I didn't know about that one. :)

So it would appear that there is another commonality between all/most cultures, that of celebrating the end of an old period and the beginning of a new one.
I'm referring to other culture, religions, etc, e.g. paganism, islam, buddhism, hinduism, etc.

Bhliain nua sásta a thabhairt duit go léir !!!

Sponsored Links
Back