cellar ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
what's the best way of attaching plasterboard to the cellar ceiling? This is partly for insuation (stripped floorboards in the room above) but it also part of a longer term plan to tidy the cellar up for storage etc.
The water, gas, phone wires, electric etc run under the joists. At their lowest point the pipes are about 10 cm lower than the joists so the new ceiling boards would need to clear this. The 2 suggestions I've had are to either attach batons perpendicular to the joists (would 10 cm batons be too deep for this? What would be the best way to attach them?) or to cut channels in the joists and raise the pipes (getting plumber/corgi in as needed).
As this room isn't going to be on 'on show' I don't want to spend a huge amount on the job, an the finish doesn't have to be perfect.
Can anyone suggest the best way to achieve this?
thanks,

Sponsored Links
I would use something like 3"x1" in the opposite direction of the floor joists as this will give you a cross air-flow ventilation in between joists and also not having to notch out for wire/pipe/cable etc then use plasterboard screws for the plasterboards. It's best to work out the position of the 3"x1" so you minimized the plasterboards cutting and less off-cuts.
Might be an idea to protect the cable or pipe with Safeplate
TLSP1.JPG

thanks Masona.
stupid question - is it easy enough to get drill bits/screws long enough?
All my drill bits are the standard length; i've never looked for any longer ones - are they stocked in the normal diy places?
ta
kathryn

Sponsored Links
Another name for it are Drywall screws easily screw in with a cordless drill with the screw bits attachments, (no need to pre-drill holes in plasterboards) failing that then use Galvanised nails and a hammer. You will need to pre-drill the hole when fixing the 3"x1".

You can pick up a cheap cordless drill or use this to drill the holes
images

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back