Cellar floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm wanting to replace my concrete cellar floor. It's cracked and risen all over the place. I know absolutely nothing about building work so this might sound like a dumb idea. I'm a metal worker by trade and was wondering if I could place metal 'H' section beams onto the ground after I'd dug it out. I'd use this as a base then board over the top. The beams would be fully galvanised so rust shouldn't be an issue. Would I have to prep the ground with anything if doing this (membrane/sand)? I'm waiting on a quote to get it concreted again but thought by doing it my way it wouldn't cost me anywhere near as much. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
no, not a good idea.
simply do it the best practice way - there's loads of info for best practices on here and elsewhere.

cellar work needs lots of things to be taken into account - a quote for just "getting it concreted" could cause a bunch of knock-on problems and just ignore other items that might need doing before any concrete is poured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back