Cement based boards to stiffen flimsy wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Resurrecting this one on behalf of Turnitup:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=222730

End wall about 3m long (inc doorway at one end) 100mm breeze block, not currently tied to roof joists above and wobbly if pushed.
The wall cannot be replaced as property is rented, will be strapping the wall to both the house wall which it abuts, plus the ceilling joist above.

Thinking of securing sheet material directly to the wall to stiffen it and give it some backbone. What cement based product could be used for this?

I was initially thinking 12mm tilebacker, but versapanel or aquapanel exterior seem likely contenders, I've no experience with either.

Your thoughts plz? (both structurally, and recommendations for cementious panel products)

Sponsored Links
well, if you cant replace it, how about rendering it and then having it skimmed? that would give a lot of strength either side..........

well, if you cant replace it, how about rendering it and then having it skimmed? that would give a lot of strength either side..........

The wall will be hidden from view once he's finished the (seperate) internal structure. So no need for skim, it's already rendered on the outside. I think a mechanically fixed panel product would be stronger, no?

If its rented:

a) should your pal be doing anything anyway
b) if the wall is rocking, it is unsafe and the landlord should be sorting out, legally....surely....

Sponsored Links
If its rented:

a) should your pal be doing anything anyway
b) if the wall is rocking, it is unsafe and the landlord should be sorting out, legally....surely....

He's got an ouline of what he can/can't do. Replacing walls and moving doors, no. Reroofing the structure and building internal stud walls, yes.

He has a good relationship with the landlord and intends this to be a long term letting. Doesn't want to rock the boat regarding the rocking wall.

I don't think adding sheet material to the wall will make much difference.
It's probably rocking due to: lightweight construction, not being tied into adjoining wall properly and as you say unrestrained at the top.
Did a long wall like that recently that had a real good "rock on"
We cut through ceiling, added another course of block onto the wall (building between the ceiling joists) Then nailed a 50x25 batten either side of the wall into the joists. Totally cured it. Is that feasible?

Kind of, one side is exterior, will be building up tight to the roof deck/roof joists and can strap to that.

I'm almost certain that a rigid 'rack resistant' board would improve the situation. Although I suppose sand/cement render on galv. lath could be added over the restraint straps.

There seems to be no end of people renting making modifications to property that is not theirs to mess up. I'm sorry but these people need a some sense slapped into them. Consul the owner first.

I think this is an issue worthy of a sticky.

If there is a structural issue, then you should get the landlord to fix it. It is a simple as that. I don't know where people get the idea it is theirs to take on. In these days of arbitrated rentals, really this is something the owner has to ensure the integrity of the building. What could you be doing that would have made a sound external wall unsound irresponsibly? Not much unless you were butting heavy machinery, or athletics equipment against it, or similar. So you have no reason to worry.

I think some people think that they are automatically going to lose thier deposit but then act in a way that is more likely they are going to end up with out it.

Deposits cannot be taken without good reason these days, that is why they have arbitration and escrow system.

Good intentions noted, however the situation isn't quite as dramatic as you are implying, and you have gone a little bit off topic with your rant.

Good intentions noted, however the situation isn't quite as dramatic as you are implying, and you have gone a little bit off topic with your rant.
How so?

The owner needs to know. It is that simple. If the owner is aware there is no issue.

It doesn't matter the extent or how dramatic.

Leasehold is different, especially if is a long term one. Then you usually have plenty of flexibility to develop, so long as it doesn't involve the shared areas.

Fox, point taken, I should have made it clear that the doesn't need replacing, just restraining. I was just trying to avoid comments from the 'knock it down and rebuild it' type comments.
0000, the owner has been consulted and is not happy with the addition of a pillar being built as proposed, as it would involve moving a doorway and taking down and rebuilding a small part of the wall. A minor task, but if he's not happy with it then that's that.

~

So, the addition of a cement based board, screwed to the wall will stiffen it against lateral movement, no?

Deluks - all I can say is thanks for trying to keep this on track - you have proven to be extremely helpful and friendly.

It is a pity there is no end to the sort of people on incredibly helpful forums like this one who are intent on bashing rather than assisting, slapping sense into all us pathetic cowboys that have nothing better to do than rent a property from some poor innocent soul and then immediately rush out and buy some power tools in order to modify their beautiful house as soon as possible.

Peace. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back