Cement in fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

house was built in 1939.

I am renovating the fireplace and stripping back to the brick.

the fireplace used to have a new back boiler. It is now removed.

the cement between the bricks is black. Lots of this has been spread over the bricks in the fireplace, it has a very thin coat of black mortar.

I began chipping this away, but it got dusty, then I wondered if any of this plaster and cement had asbestos in it?

I’ve never heard of anything but artex having it in it in terms of mortars and cements and plasters.

can anyone put my mind at rest, I have a toddler walking round, just want to be absolutely sure for her sake.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Very, very unlikely if at all that the mortar either the mortar between the bricks or the thin layer over the brick.

Spreading a thin layer of mortar over brick work in the fire place area of chimney flue was common practice back in the day.

Ken

Very, very unlikely if at all that the mortar either the mortar between the bricks or the thin layer over the brick.

Spreading a thin layer of mortar over brick work in the fire place area of chimney flue was common practice back in the day.

Ken

Thanks, I was probably being too cautious I doubt 1939 mortar was likely to have asbestos in it. Had a good look at it and just looks like mortar nothing fibre like in it!

One other question, I am chiselling it off and then using liquid soda and a wire brush and a bit of vinegar.

presume this is right, it’s hard work but it is coming off. I’m scoring the mortar with a Stanley and then chiselling.

Is there an easier way without buying special chemicals?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back