cement leveling frame, where from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have decided to build my workshop using Thermoplan blocks aka Weinerberger
The first course has to sit on a dead level bed of cement.
I have seen on youtube that they use a leveling frame, see the beginning of this video:
Does anyone know where I can get one of these frames from?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned about where to get that roller spreader thing they used on top of the first course- for the mortar bed just use 3 x 2 as shuttering and a straight edge across the top as tamper/level. Bit worrying how deep that bed is- mortar isn't really that strong. Be interested to hear how you get on.

@OLD butnot dead, thanks for your advice but don't be negative over the build method, it is a tried and tested method in Europe for years, I'm actually surprised it hasn't caught on in the UK.
The roller is £70 available from the block suppliers in the UK . But I can't find where the leveling bars are for sale.

Sponsored Links
That's a bit unfair- yes you'd have to render it or clad it or something but the soundproofing and thermal benefits of those air pockets should be impressive. Couldn't see any sign of BBA approval so that might be an issue. Looks like a system where you'd have to plan quite carefully where doors, windows etc are going and you're limited to using only their lintels, corner blocks etc. which might push the price up.
What sort of price per sq metre do those blocks come out at? (including their special mortar :) )

I have been quoted £42 per m2 for the 365mm T10 blocks that have a U value of 0.25 which meets building regs for a workshop. There are 450 mm wide blocks also available which have passive house insulation properties!
For a self builder I just can't understand why this system has not taken off in the UK , after all, you avoid having to build the wall twice as you do with cavity walls and you avoid having to buy the expensive insulation boards that need to go inside the cavity and because it's quicker to build, you avoid expensive labour costs from builders or are even able to self build. This all makes it quite economical in my opinion, but I understand that UK builders are very stuck in their tradition and don't like to try things new so will talk negatively over this.

It looks far too quick and efficient to catch on over here. Not to mention easy - you'd have people building their own houses and everything. Shocking
banned.gif

Cheers
Richard

It looks far too quick and efficient to catch on over here. Not to mention easy - you'd have people building their own houses and everything. Shocking
banned.gif

Cheers
Richard
You and your DIY buddies crack on marra. If it was so good, builders would be using it.

You and your DIY buddies crack on marra. If it was so good, builders would be using it.

It just seems to be a standardised system for the perforated blocks that are quite common in Europe. It just takes the UK a while to catch up (viz timber frames).

Cheers
Richard

It just seems to be a standardised system for the perforated blocks that are quite common in Europe. It just takes the UK a while to catch up (viz timber frames).

Cheers
Richard
What do you mean 'catch up'?
Developers use whatever is the most economical method, that satisfies our building codes. Canada and Scandinavian countries love 'em for obvious reasons. It's no accident that we have a lot of brick built and tile finished, cement based buildings, because the UK has plenty of limestone and clay.
Timber frame has been used here for donkeys.

The reason those blocks aren't used here is because they are pants. Nothing to do with 'catching up'.

Cheers
Richard
What do you mean 'catch up'?
Developers use whatever is the most economical method, that satisfies our building codes. Canada and Scandinavian countries love 'em for obvious reasons. It's no accident that we have a lot of brick built and tile finished, cement based buildings, because the UK has plenty of limestone and clay.

The reason those blocks aren't used here is because they are pants. Nothing to do with 'catching up'.

It's not that long since you couldn't get a mortgage on timber frame. You're right, we have loads of clay; I wonder what the blocks are made from? Seems to me if they have adequate U values they could save a lot on labour costs. On what do you base your assertion that they are pants? Is there evidence that buildings correctly built with them fall down more?

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back