Cement render or silicon based render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I'm getting ready for the renderer to get to work in my concrete block extension and have noticed that on the original plans the architect has put down prorend as the type of render to be used on the outside but all the builders and plasterers I've spoken to have said I don't have to go with the prorend just because he's put it on the drawings but can use a sand and cement render at a fraction of the cost.But thought I would just get confirmation either way here first.

Sponsored Links
Prorend is a proprietary system, with features that normal render does not have. It may have been specified for a reason. Ask the plan drawer.

Any old Joe can render, but they can't render with a system unless trained in it.

If the builder has quoted on the plans and the specification then I would expect him to do what the plans say, else adjust his price if he is using cheapo sand cement render.

Thanks for the reply woody,the plasterer hasn't put in a price for the rendering he has just mentioned that sand and cement render would be much cheaper.He is qualified in krender and I think he is just giving me an alternative method and trying to save me a few quid.

Sponsored Links
Questions to ponder ...

Is "normal" render the best, or most appropriate for the wall material it is going one, and exposure it will get?

Are you happy with the increased maintenance costs, appearance and chance of failure from normal render - ie potential more cost over a longer period?

Will you get the same warranty period with normal render - from the manufacturer too and not just something from the builder?

Your designer may not have much of a clue about render and may have just specified a name he heard in a trade magazine. Or he may have done a comprehensive design and specification so that all components work together to give the best perfrmance possible at the lowest long term cost. None of that matters to the bloke doing the render, other than if he is only skilled in one thing so may steer you in that direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back