Cement Shelf Life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Real rookie question this, Building 101 stuff. I bought a few bags of Mastercrete last summer (2020) to lay some limestone slabs in a section at the back of my garden. Not really load bearing or anything, mainly cosmetic. Anyway, I know cement has a fairly short shelf life, but the bags have been kept under cover and are visually still like new. What could I expect if I attempt to use them? Will they not mix well, not cure well, produce weaker cement? Just wondering if it's possible to get away with using them or if I need fresh bags? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it hard? Or lumpy?

Can you easily break up any lumps with your fingers?

IIRC Mastercrete bags have a plastic moisture resistant layer and are not plain paper. If the bags are unopened they should be fine.

No, doesn't seem lumpy, they're still dry. So is it only an issue if the ambient moisture has got to them and they've started to set? That's what I was wondering, because visually they seem fine.

If it's powder, you can use it. That includes removing any lumps or lumps that don't return to powder when you squeeze them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back