Central America no 240v. Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house in Guatemala, my wife has called to inform me that she has no power on any of the 240v outlets. She has lighting and and the 120v appliances are working, just no stove, dryer etc. I'm not too knowledgeable about how electrics work over there however the reason I ask is the Electrician has told her it will probably need a rewire and giving prices over the phone. Which has set alarm bells ringing! Now is there any plausible ideas on what could be going wrong! All I understand is that they use a 2x120v together and ground the neutral to get get 240v and run 120 on its own. We have just bought a new clothes dryer in the last 2 days if that sheds any light.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Sponsored Links
I have a house in Guatemala, my wife has called to inform me that she has no power on any of the 240v outlets. She has lighting and and the 120v appliances are working, just no stove, dryer etc. I'm not too knowledgeable about how electrics work over there however the reason I ask is the Electrician has told her it will probably need a rewire and giving prices over the phone. Which has set alarm bells ringing! Now is there any plausible ideas on what could be going wrong! All I understand is that they use a 2x120v together and ground the neutral to get get 240v and run 120 on its own. We have just bought a new clothes dryer in the last 2 days if that sheds any light.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Fuse, circuit breaker, who knows. A dryer is quite a big load and if it was on at the same time as the stove it could have tripped something. The rewire suggestion sounds a con if the electrician is only quoting over the phone without seeing it.

That's what I'm thinking and not been there. It's the stove, dryer, and instantaneous water heater that are 240v. Each on their own breaker. I was thinking if possibly a faulty neutral but it's just a guess.

Nath

Sponsored Links
Dont guess, get another electrician.

Find one thats not going to quote you for a rewire, get an agreed invetsigation fee beforehand.

Back