Central hating v Gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a dilemma, should i scrap the roof chimney (which is leaking) and with this the lounge gas fire which uses it, and just use the central heating? The boiler is an A grade Worcester combi single zone. So if i do use the heating all the house is warmed up, so that sounds inefficient, but on the other hand having a gas fire on with heat going up the chimney also sounds inefficient. What is the modern day thinking please?

Sponsored Links
Gas fire is nice when you just want to take the chill off the room in spring/autumn.

Get rid of the fire!

Maybe look at adding some extra controls on to your central heating system, like thermostatic rad valves, if you have not got them installed.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Repair the chimney even if you don't keep the fire. They're an asset to any property.
Agreed,but I'm a traditionalist and like the look of an inset fire.Rather pay to look at one of those than radiators any day. :)

When you are not using your gas fire, a huge ammount of your expensive heat is flowing up the chimney and warming a Pigeons bum.... If someone suggested cutting a sizable hole in your wall to outside, you would think that they were mad, yet this is exactly what a chimney is...

See my sig...........

We like to have a gas fire, as it makes a pleasing focal point to the lounge.

Having said that, during this cold weather me and Mrs Whitespirit can't get near to it. Two comatose tabby cats stretched out in front of it :( . They'd be there 24/7 if we let them.

If you like a focal point get a fluless like me, brilliant....................................................................Wait for it!

diy_er";p="1814370 said:
Got a dilemma, should i scrap the roof chimney (which is leaking) and with this the lounge gas fire which uses it,
diy_er";p="1814370 said:
What exactly do you mean by leaking? Is it a "proper" CHIMNEY?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back