New Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a new central heating system fitted in the new year which is the old back boiler system, we have been told that our chimney flu is not upto standard for a new gas fire to be fitted, we were told we need a plate fitted to stops bits from landing ontop of the fire.

We dont use the fire often we mainly rely on heat from the radiators but sometimes use the fire as a topup for heat when very cold.

We may have an electric fire fitted instead does this mean I can block up/cover the chimney flu? please advise best way and how?

Also we loose alot of heat from the air brick for the back boiler in the lounge can I brick this up when back boiler is removed as the new boiler is being fitted in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
having a new central heating system fitted in the new year which is the old back boiler system

Do you mean that? Don't you mean you are having the back boiler removed?

If you are having it removed, a fire can usually be fitted where the old boiler was, after the old flue liner is removed. Some fires can be used with a flue liner but the terminal on the top would probably not be suitable. It's a case of quizzing fire manufacturers, which is a hassle your boiler changer probably doesn't want. Also, all parties would frown on reusing an old liner.

Yes sorry we are only having the back boiler removed and a new boiler fitted in the kitchen.

We were looking at putting a new fire in the place where the back boiler and existing fire is, We were thinking of just putting a £99 - £199 electric fire in its place if we could get away without having to do any major modifications to the flue or chimney breast. But I did not know if we could block the flue or not if we put an inset electric fire in the place of the back boiler and old (very old) gas fire.

If you're fitting an electric fire you can block up the fireplace opening and seal/remove any air vents. But you might want to consider a gas fire as they're much cheaper to run. A gas fire may not require the ventilation (depending on type) but the fireplace opening and flue would have to be suitable.

Sponsored Links
Even most Decorative Fuel Effect real-flame fires are made with a safety Atmosphere Sensing Device now so they don't need the dirty great hole in the wall/floor any more.
You may well find that you have to pay a surprising amount to have a gas fire fitted though.

Not to bothered about gas fire as we rarely use it, we are fitting a large double radiator to the room with foil behind it as its on a external wall.

I was just wandering if we fitted an inset electric fire with surround if I could block off the flue completely.

Also we loose alot of heat due to the air vent bridging internal and external wall to allow the baxi back boiler to breathe, I was hoping we could remove the internal vent and brick this up also to keep some of the heat in the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back