Installing new gas fire, flexible spigot up the chimney.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having had a back boiler and accompanying fire removed (one of those fires that won't work on its own) we've looked at what we are left with and you can see what appears to be a flexible spigot (that was attached to the old boiler) that runs up the chimney surrounded by insulation - something I've not seen before but hell, I don't see the back of too many fires in my line of work.
Now we obviously need to buy a fire of some sort to put in its place but can anyone tell me whether this arrangement will cause us any issues?

The last time we had a fire fitted (last house) one fire was disconnected, there was nothing behind and a new fire was fitted, no problem.

Do we need to have this spigot and insulation removed or can we just connect a new gas fire to this in some form? Would there be any other issues/consideration in installaing a new fire based on this?

Sadie.

Sponsored Links
flue liner must be removed,and chimney smoke tested prior to installing new gas fire

Get it removed , why was it not done at the time,
It needs removing from top up do not pull it down as you may leave a blockage in the flue

Sponsored Links
Get it removed , why was it not done at the time,
It needs removing from top up do not pull it down as you may leave a blockage in the flue
I think the engineer at the time took me literally, I didn't know there was anything up the chimney and therefore couldn't ask for work to be done that I didn't know needed to be done.

Going forward, we're either looking at putting either an electric fire or a gas fire in its place. We already have a 1600 x 500 P+ radiator in the room and often use candles for ambient light in the evening (which themselves produce >1Kw of heat) so whatever we install will be more cosmetic than functional.

So, if we have a gas fire, we're going to need to have this spigot/insulation removed first, ok... how much would this typically cost?

Sadie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back