Help! gas fire installation preparations

The gas man who the shop recommended is literally just away from the house after coming to check what we need:
£120 for fitting
£50 single regulator
£85 UFO cowl
+ VAT= £306
(+£50+VAT for a vent should we need one)
Seems pricey???
I'll get another quote from a local calor gas supplier who's local, but i really wish i'd been more clued in before stepping foot into the shop.[/quote]

To be fair, that all seems reasonable to me. Does the £85 include climbing the roof and fitting?

Sponsored Links
View media item 39878 View media item 39879 View media item 39880 View media item 39881

Thanks Expert gasman.
Yes the fitting of the cowl is included in that price!

One final question, ( i hope)
Having taken out the concrete fireback, how far back into the fireplace does my husband need to go removing concrete blocks?
It's about 25cm depth of an opening at the moment. I thought when i saw the fires in the shop that they seemed to go back a lot more that that? The book dimension 'opening size' for our model is w:410, h:560, d:250 but it seems too shallow??

Don't want to do anything to damage the chimney!

The manufacturers instructions always take precedence,so if it says 250mm,that`s what it needs.
It`s hard to see properly from your photos,but I`d probably be looking at removing that lip of cement and brick bits at the upper rear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back