Help! gas fire installation preparations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a new fireplace and gas fire. My husband has taken away the old fire surround, we just need to take out the fire back.
We contacted some gas fitters but they are all coming back with different information for us:
1. do we need to get the chimney checked before they install? (house only 10 years old and never any fire in the chimney before)
2. the chimney is quite draughty (always had a cushion stuffed up there) so can we still have a gas fire...considering the fireplace shop has sold us one already??
3. one gas man said the fire we were after purchasing would not heat our room: 3.8kw glass fronted convector, but when i asked the shop they just said the gas man was probably trying to con us into buying another one??
4. need to put a specific gas cowl on the chimney pot?

I'd really appreciate any answers, as you can tell, i'm pretty green about all this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes need to get chimney checked, might be full of cobwebs or bednest etc and might need sweeping

3.8kw hard to say as you have not give us room size.

always best to put bird cage over chimney

Thanks Lightning,

I forgot to say that i'm getting the chimney swept and removing the old bird cages/cowls.
The room is 15 x 16 ft

1. All registered heating engineers WILL check the chimney regardless of when it was in use last. A chimney could be erected yesterday and he would still check the chimney

2. What does the shop know about your chimney. They sold you a fire. It could have been a bag of potatoes.

3. Many fires are rated around 7kw. Is yours a Fluless fire?

4. Good idea,

Check the Gas Safe Card at the back and ensure the information is current. Check if gas fires work is undertaken by the installer- if you do not see gas fires mentioned at the back of the card, then look elsewhere

Sponsored Links
DP,
in answer to 2. The shop didn't ask anything about our chimney just how big the opening is.
3. Think it's flueless....the gas fitter said that when he installs he'll then check for draw (?) and since it's a draughty chimney (i'm sitting here with the sound of the wind outside blowing over the chimney top) he said if it needed a down draft cowl or a flue then he'd put one in???

1. do we need to get the chimney checked before they install? (house only 10 years old and never any fire in the chimney before)

It must be checked, but that is pat of the installers jobr

2. the chimney is quite draughty (always had a cushion stuffed up there) so can we still have a gas fire...considering the fireplace shop has sold us one already??

Yes, ALL chimnyes are draughty, to one degree or another. A constant DOWN draght is a potentila problem, though

3. one gas man said the fire we were after purchasing would not heat our room: 3.8kw glass fronted convector

Absolute nonsense. 3.8 Kw OUTPUT is loads for your room.

but when i asked the shop they just said the gas man was probably trying to con us into buying another one??

They could have explained heat requirements without resorting to slagging off fitters

4. need to put a specific gas cowl on the chimney pot?

A fire does not NEED any cowl, unless you have a down draught, when somw special cowls can remedy. However, a basic bird guard is recommended, but not REQUIRED.

Does the FP shop not offer an installation service?

I'd really appreciate any answers, as you can tell, i'm pretty green about all this. Thanks[/quote]

Gems, if the fire is flueless, it does NOT NEED a chimney but a vent. Fail to see why your fitter is talking about flue pull when a flueless fire is to be fitted.

kw output of fire is irrellavant if it is flueless because there should be a rad in the same room, the fire is classed as a secondary heat source any gas engineer knows this.

If you tell us the make and model of fire you have bought it will let us know a lot about what`s going on.

Thanks for the replies DP and ctp,

Expertgasman - no the shop has no fitter, they just gave us a name of a guy they recommended, but he wasn't really that helpful...not answering phone or replying to my messages, so i went to a local calor fitter who gave me some little smoke things i have to light in the fireplace, if the smoke goes up the chimney everythings fine...but if it backs into the room then i'll have to get a vent......more wind in the room, really not what i wanted! Cross your fingers the white smoke disappears up the chimney for me.

Macfudd: The gas fire model is a Gazco logic HE convector fire for LPG.

thanks guys

You need to get a properly qualified engineer to check the chimney,contact Gas safe register,they will have a list of engineers in your postcode area who have the fire and lpg qualification.
You will probably have to pay for someone to come round and do the necessary tests and to fully advise you further.
The chimney needs to be checked properly,someone giving you a smoke pellet and telling you to do it yourself is not really helpful.

i'm not sure I'd be doing business with an FP shop that can't offer installation.

For one, if there is any kind of issue or complaint after the work is done, you'll be caught right in the middle of a catch 22 when the installer blames the fire, and the people who sold you the fire blame the installation.

I would be looking for a supply+fit from one place who would take responsibility for the whole job.

You can already clearly see the run around you're getting because of the disconnect between the two.

i'm not sure I'd be doing business with an FP shop that can't offer installation.

For one, if there is any kind of issue or complaint after the work is done, you'll be caught right in the middle of a catch 22 when the installer blames the fire, and the people who sold you the fire blame the installation.

I would be looking for a supply+fit from one place who would take responsibility for the whole job.

You can already clearly see the run around you're getting because of the disconnect between the two.

Absoulutely correct. We do everything, and always attend to breakdowns ourselves, as most manufacturers have no service team as such, and can take weeks to resppond. To any potential purchaser: Before you buy of the 'net or a supply only shop, phone your selected manufacturer and ask specific questions about their repair policy. Be prepared to be shocked. Focal Point insist you send copies of the sales receipt and service document before they even arrange to give you a visit date!

OP: Please read my ealier reponses. It is for the installer to decide uppon the condition of the flue, and the flue test take a little interpretation. There is methodology to a flue test and you can easily get a false negative.

The guy who said the fire is too small is talking utter rot! We can write more positively now we know the make and model, and you DON'T have a flueless. 3.8Kw into your room size is way more than enough.

Look here for another RGI:

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/Default.aspx

I'm taking on board all you are saying guys, BUT unfortunately if i had been on this site BEFORE i bought the fireplace & fire i'd be feeling alot happier.

Yeah i'm sure if anything goes wrong neither one will take responsibility.

The gas man who the shop recommended is literally just away from the house after coming to check what we need:
£120 for fitting
£50 single regulator
£85 UFO cowl
+ VAT= £306
(+£50+VAT for a vent should we need one)
Seems pricey???
I'll get another quote from a local calor gas supplier who's local, but i really wish i'd been more clued in before stepping foot into the shop.

Jaycee331
"i'm not sure I'd be doing business with an FP shop that can't offer installation.

I would be looking for a supply+fit from one place who would take responsibility for the whole job."

This is exactly what my Mother said....she's always right. But like i said it's too late now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back