Central hating v Gas fire

Sponsored Links
expertgasman";p="1814953 said:
Got a dilemma, should i scrap the roof chimney (which is leaking) and with this the lounge gas fire which uses it,
What exactly do you mean by leaking? Is it a "proper" CHIMNEY?

:confused: it's difficult to say for sure its a leak at the moment as it is not raining? I have lots of condensation (just insulated loft hatch) so it could be that gives impression of leak?

Just trying to evaluate a future plan?

ps next door is leaking must be lead flashing and could be tracking over to me?

Fires often have a permanent ventilation opening, and even if they don't have one, the open flue(chimney) will create a 24/7 draft that lets enormous amounts of heat escape.

From a heating point of view, there is nothing as inefficient as a gasfire.
Economy wise: ditch the fire, close the flue opening to stop the draft, and use the boiler.

Sponsored Links
close the flue opening to stop the draft

Preferably with a register plate, liner, stove pipe and stove underneath it. OP, you did ask for the modern way, unfortunately also the expensive way. No secondary heating is the blinkered way.

It's amazing just how much heat those things give off with a pair of wellies chucked on.... But the neighbours might not speak to you again.

It is always handy to have a secondary heating system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back