Central Heating - big noise when turning off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a fairly new boiler installation (since new extension). The builder suggested we upgraded the 20 yr old one with a newer more efficient unit as we were having major works. But also relocating it to the attic space. All fine....

I have a few problems however....

The heating is controlled by the app “the hive” and whenever you turn off the heating manually on the app, you can hear the system make a loud bang as if a valve is clamping off. This doesn’t seem to be coming from the boiler itself, but more from where the hot water tank is in the airing cupboard.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Dundee_stokie/p/c9ff2cfd-6d80-4cb4-a97e-af82076987f5

Also, the pressure gauge loses pressure every now and again - does this indicate a leak somewhere? The pipe where the top up valve is always seems really cold and damp, could this be the issue ?

Sponsored Links
The clunk is probably a moterised diverter or zone valve. Some do and the only solution is to replace it.

Check the CH motorised valve is installed the correct way round, if they are reversed this noise happens

Sponsored Links
I know. It’s another problem !
Do these wires look dangerous to you guys? Water and cabling and all that

Looks like the top two port is the wrong way round.

State of that. It looks like a builder did it!

Yes it looks likek it's going to blow a fuse sooner rather than later but the leak looks like it's coming from the top of the brass valve on the left

Looks like the top two port is the wrong way round.

State of that. It looks like a builder did it!

Yes it looks likek it's going to blow a fuse sooner rather than later but the leak looks like it's coming from the top of the brass valve on the left

CORRECT !! A builder did do it. Jack of all trades

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back