Central heating but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is about ten years old and I moved in during 2014.

In the last 2/3 months I had a suspicion I had developed an electrical fault as I have had problems with getting hot water. I could turn on the central heating and a 'C' status would show on the boiler in the kitchen but nothing would happen with HW.

We thought it was the Sunvic programmer so my dad and I replaced it yesterday with a Honeywell ST9400C . I re-programmed the times to suit but the hot water still isn't coming on but I am sure when we checked it using the factory set times it was fine.

I have attached a picture of the tank in my airing cupboard (the pressure is currently at 1.4).

I know the black box is the pump and the white box bottom left is the thermostat but what are the other three and would any of them need replacing?

A basic intro would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_6854.JPG
    IMG_6854.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
I think I have discovered the left hand box is the MV for the C.H. and the other is the MV for the H.W.

I turned the central heating on in the kitchen and I could feel the valve turning in the airing cupboard only after I wriggled around with it which suggests to me the electrical connections in the junction box need checking.

If there is a lever on the valve for HW try operating it manually and check that the boiler then fires up. It may just be a sticky valve causing the problem or it’s motor may be on the way out.

Sponsored Links
I haven't played with one of those valves but hopefully you should be able to operate the thumbwheel to open the valve.

I turned the C.H. on again and I have noticed the red wheel rotates. I turned on the H.W. and managed to get it's red dial turning for about 2 minutes and then it stops. So I am now also beginning to think the motor is on its way out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back