Central heating dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber diagnosed the cause of no heating to my radiators as a burnt out heat pump. Having changed the pump it still wasn't working so he's changing the thermistors. Feeling a little suspicious I've plugged the old pump in via a socket and it's blowing out air. Does that mean it's working and didn't need replacing after all? Anyone in the

Sponsored Links
Indeed. You do need to describe your system better.

This is a 'Heat Pump'

heat pump.jpg
Is this what you have? Your comment that it has thermistors would also fit this scenario. But then when you talk about it being connected to radiators and plugging it in and it blowing air, makes me think you are referring to a 'Pump' of the type used in central heating systems, something like this.

Pump.jpg
If you are referring to a simple pump as above, (in reality, pump is a misnomer, because they are actually circulators, because they move water around a sealed circuit) Sometimes as they get weak, they are still able to move free air, but are not strong enough to move gallons of water, sludge, crud etc., around a heating system. However, if this is what you have and you say yours has been replaced and the new one still isn't working, then it needs someone who can trace electrical circuits to check if the pump is getting a live supply, and if not, why not. Changing lots of components in an 'ad hoc' fashion and hoping to find the problem by chance can be an expensive way to fault find, and is not often successful.

The problem is, if the above is what you do have, then I have never seen thermistors associated with this type of system. Do you mean thermostat?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back