Central Heating keeps blowing fuse on supply socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Have had some great advice on here so far and I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some guidance or even offer to come and fix (paid of course)

I have a rayburn nouvelle, gas, that is pumped central heating and gravity fed hot water (I think)

I woke up to a cold house last Saturday - I changed the fuse in the power socket and it sprung into live for 5 mins. I changed the fuse again and it lived for about 6 hours before going off.

I decided to change the pump, so spent sunday struggling with that. However new pump is on and working but I still have the same problem. I'm nearly 100% sure that it isn't the pump causing the problem as I've run that off a plugged socket separately for a few minutes and it didn't blow a 3amp fuse that was fitting on the plug.

So what else could be wrong that is causing a 13amp fuse to blow? I know it should be 3amp now but 13amp was what was in the socket and before I read a few posts on here I didn't know any better.

I've opened up the timer unit and no sign of burnt wires.

I called a central heating engineer out but he said I needed an electrican - but I don't think an electrician will want to look at the gas boiler ?

Can anyone suggest a man or woman that would relish this kind of challenge? Changing the pump was challenging enough!

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Keep ringing around for a heating engineer, you obviously got a "I only work on Combi's" guy.
They're going to need to check every 240v component, zone valves, room stat etc. Don't think it's going to be on the Rayburn.

Thanks for the speedy response.

I can't think that there would be any pipes close to cables etc. Only place I could think water might be linking would be from within the rayburn, maybe a tank above the burners? I thought if that was happening I might of noticed it when I've opened it to look.

I'm pleased to hear you don't think it is within the rayburn. My thought was that was the next most likely suspect. Having eliminated the pump, the timer looks OK and so does the thermostat. Can I ask why you don't think it will be the rayburn.

I should quote my postcode in case anyone wants a job - GU10 :)

Sponsored Links
I just wanted to say thank you to those who took the time to give me some guidance. I'm please to say a sparky has diagnosed the fault to a dodgy cable between the timer and the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back