central heating drain valve outside property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having my central heating replaced due to a new extension and the guys installed a drain valve for the central heating outside the house. They basically drilled a hole into the wall and the valve is outside now. Convenient I guess but am worried it may freeze during the winter months. Is this normal? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Why not put a ball valve on the inside and then all that goes outside is the empty 15mm drain pipe? I was considering doing this to my own CH system to make maintenance a little easier.

I love it when I see outside drain cocks for CH :). Saves time and aggro. I have 2 on my own house and they have never frozen.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I have pipes to outside with valves in wardrobe. Makes everything so much easier. I fitted DC's outside on a reglar basis, whe I did heating work. Often, there was no way of hiding the valve, so a hole was drilled throgh wall, and a DC on the end of a length of 15 mm pushed into wall. The DC was pushed as far as possible into wall, so the only bit exposed was the head itself. never had a freeze problem AFAIA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back