Central heating draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are completely gutting a room for redecorating and new floor etc and to make it easy to remove the old skirting boards the two central heating radiators in the room are going to be removed after draining the system. My question is would it be ok to leave the system in the drained down state for a month or so as the radiators will not be getting put back till all decorating is finished. I am asking as the system is 30yrs old and i am a bit concerned things my sieze up.

Sponsored Links
Not really necessary to drain full system if you don't really want to, why not just close valves both sides and just remove rads. If you have TRV,S just make sure you cap them as you dont want them opening. Also might be an idea to make a note of how many turns the lockshield valves take to close.

We are completely gutting a room for redecorating and new floor etc and to make it easy to remove the old skirting boards the two central heating radiators in the room are going to be removed after draining the system. My question is would it be ok to leave the system in the drained down state for a month or so as the radiators will not be getting put back till all decorating is finished. I am asking as the system is 30yrs old and i am a bit concerned things my sieze up.
the danger you could have is after you introduce air in the system ,is the rads /pump rusting from inside[over a long period].when you fill up don,t forget to replace the inhibitor

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies all, as you can imagine i just want to make the job as easy as possible. Still undecided which way to go as some are saying yes it would be ok and others no. I think i might take the safe root and make sure by refilling.

Armo74, so if i understand correctly i would be closing the valves an disconnecting them from the rad, may sound a daft question but what about the water in the rad.

Save yourself some grief and close off each valve at the radiators you want to remove (observing the point about the TRV's - use a decorating cap) and undo the large nut between the valve and the rad, catching the water in a flat tray or similar.
When all of the water is out, take the rads off, flush them with a hose and store them until the job is done.
Add some more inhibitor when you put them back.
John :)

Cheers Burnerman, ive drained them down and will be removing them at the weekend, i will give them a good flush out. The hardest part part was getting the caps to seal, ended up using LSX-stop leak but one of the dam things is still weeping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back