Central heating failed need help

New update.... Hot water on programmer on, Boiler lights pump runs
Ch On programmer on, boiler does not light pump does not run

Sponsored Links
Hi, Yesterday my CH failed, The central heating was on but because it was a nice day not hot, firstly i noticed the hot water was very hot mid afternoon and it should not be, later in the evening it was cold radiators. The first thing i jumped for was the pump as it had been noisy for some time so i replaced it but not end of problem.
My system is Glowworm ultimate, Siemens programmer, 3 port motorised valve, fully pumped, room stat (was) acl drayton 3 wires yellow red blue, I have since changed that for Honeywell T6360 but not sure of wiring. The pump runs on hot water but not CH. if I push the MV right over and hold it there whilst programmer is on HW the radiators get hot. The boiler fires ok. Can anyone assist me. regards Mick

Was the heating working before you change the stat? It could be the valve failed as when calling for heat, the valve should open to H and pump/boiler should fired up. Can you check if yellow wire on stat come live when calling for heat? with a multi-meter?

Dan.

nothing worse than not being able to see the wires yourself.

sad-012.gif

Sponsored Links
Not checked wires upstairs in box by valve but, When programmer is not on red and yellow at room stat dead. when programmer is on CH both wires live if this helps

so yellow comes from programmer to stat
red where does that go stat to where ?

Red no idea, getting a bit late now thanks for all your help will be back on tomorrow if i can't cure it

Merlin! forget the HW for a moment. leave it off
When you put the CH on at the programmer one of your wires becomes live ( the blue will be neutral, so either red or yellow). This feeds the room stat. The other wire will go to the terminal box where it joins the white wire of the motorised valve. Have a look to see what colour wire joins the white and this is the 'switched live'
When you get this wired right and the CH on and stat turned up the valve should move first to mid point and then on to CH only position, although in your case you have a valve fault.
You may have to remove the actuator head off the valve spindle to observe what is happening as you try different modes.
Your problem will related to either stiff valve spindle. Faulty motor in actuator head or if valve moves to CH only position then a faulty micro switch is preventing the boiler from lighting.

need to know what is connected to the white wire in the wiring box and if it's live. when heating calling.

im off to
asleep-045.gif
now.
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back