Central Heating / Hot Water Controller Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace our current 'heating' controller, (the control box that controls what times the heating / hot water switches on / off at).

My system setup at the moment has 2 motorised valves (one for HW, one for heating), and the stats on teh HW tank, and the room stat downstairs control these when the Controller is on.

The 'problem' that I have is that the controller I have at the moment has 3 On/Off time settings and a 'Mode' setting (Off / On / Auto / All Day), but I can only choose whether to apply this setting to 'Hot Water Only' or 'Heating + Water' via a rocker switch on the front.

This means that overnight when we leave the heating on incase of a temperature drop, the boiler cycles on and off as it is also keeping the water in the hot water tank, well, hot :rolleyes:

What I would like is a controller that will let me set the water timings & mode seperate to the central heating timings & mode.

In my old house we used to have one that looked like this:
p42504_l.jpg

but it had a slider under the cover that stopped working properly after just a year or so.

I'm also not sure quite what I am looking for with respect to the wording of the specs on the sites.
For instance, that Drayton one picture above says;
3 On/Off Periods per Day
1 Preset Programme
24 Hour or 5 / 2 Day Programmable
Ok, so the 1st line is quite understandable :D
Just not sure what the next 2 mean. Also no mention of whether the controls are seperate or combined.

Can anyone recommend a controller that will do what I want a a decent price?
As the controller is in the airing cupboard a backlit display would be 'nice' but if it makes a big difference to price then I'll just keep the old torch in there still!

Edit
Incidently I am also planning on changing my room stat at some point, (I'll probably shift it as at the moment it is right outside the kitchen door which means the heating won't come on in the rest of the house when anyone is cooking!)
Is it worth me investing in a wireless stat to save rerunning the stat wiring to the new location, and if so does that effect in anyway what controller I get? - Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Why don't you fit a wireless progammable roomstat and solve both problems?
Take a look at the Honeywell RF programmable room stat.

Steve

Yes thats right. You will leave the hot water on timed and the heating on constant on the existing programmer

Sponsored Links
Ok, I can't actually do that with the existing controller, but presumably I could remove the CH connections from the controller I have at the moment so that it is only controlling hot water, then use this thing to control the central heating side of things.

You could wire the ch on in the existing programmer to the live terminal. This will leave the ch permanantly on and then allow control on the new RF programmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back