Central heating layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been slowly renovating my 1960s chalet bungalow and now want to move a radiator in my dining room. Whilst there is no flooring down i took the opportunity to map out the existing pipework. Would someone be kind enough to look at the attached diagrams and advise if anything else needs changing to make a more efficient system. Upstairs pipework is more or less inaccessible at the moment so looking at the groundfloor for the time being.

The change i mentioned is to put vertical radiators in the lounge and dining room, whilst moving the dining room rad from the outside wall to the internal wall, basically shortening the pipework

The boiler is located at the end of the thicker 22mm pipe, the rest is 15mm

Thanks

Attachments

• Pipe layout First Floor.png
    Pipe layout First Floor.png
    56 KB · Views: 94
  • Proposed pipe layout Ground.png
    Proposed pipe layout Ground.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
It's a standard two pipe central heating system with each radiator return going direct to the boiler.
Vertical radiators are nowhere near as efficient horizontal ones, so do bear this in mind especially if you like to be toasty warm in winter!

Vertical radiators are nowhere near as efficient horizontal ones

+1, you need to be careful to check insulation levels, windows type etc. Vertical column radiators can be anything up to 50% less efficient at heating a space than normal convecting radiators. Don't just go by the radiator output.

Column rads work at around 70% radiation and 30% convection whereas normal radiators work by 90% convection and 10% radiation, therefore they are much more efficient at space heating.

I can't work out where your boiler is in that system sketch, but from what info you have given it seems that multiple rads are fed from a pair of 15mm pipes. I suggest that a maximum of 15,000 btu/hr is fed from a 15mm pipe pair, less if there are long runs, so consider upgrading the distribution pipes to 22mm so that only two rads are fed from any 15mm pair. Doing it this way will keep flow velocities from going too high and creating system noise.

I also suggest that ALL radiators are 100% efficient, and that Madrab and Servotech are refering to their effectiveness. As a word of warning, manufacturers usually quote their rads' outputs for quite high flow temperatures (delta T = 50), which means their average temperature is 50C higher than the room. If you want the room to be at 20C then you'll be looking at flow temps of 75C and return temps of 65C (or 77/63, etc). The current trend is towards lower flow temps, so larger rads will build in some modicum of future-proofing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Sorry i missed off the boiler, heres an updated layout if it helps. The boiler is in yellow located in the kitchen and has 22mm flow and return until the first elbow.
The rad on the far right is in an older extension and tees off the pipe in the living room. This has a new insulated flat roof and insulation in the floor. The rest of the house has suspended timber floors.
When i get round to doing the kitchen i was going to take the floor up and run new pipes for the rad inthe extension straight off the end of the 22mm flow and returns.
By distribution pipes do you mean the two centeal pipes running through the middle?

Attachments

• 20210717_170214.png
    20210717_170214.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 83

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back