Central heating maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like advise on Central heating maintenance please:

My system is TEN years old. This summer I want to do some maintenance!

I was thinking to flush the system with restorer/cleaner AND then add NEW protector/inhibitor!

While I have drained down the system, I was thinking to replace the 3 port motorised valve (which is now ten years old, the motorised head having been replaced five years ago), and also replacing the PUMP.

What I wanted to know was........ Is it essential to fit valves to isolate these components either side, and is it worth doing so? Is it normally successful to replace motorised valve or pump WITHOUT draining down the system?

I was thinking to just replace the PUMP and motorised valve without putting these isolating valves in place!

I intend to do this work using COMPRESSION FITTINGS.

I would like any advice or suggestions PLEASE............

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Ever heard the saying 'If it ain't broke dont fix it'

Isolating valves are a good practice, as they will allow to to change components when they NEED replacing without draining down each time.

Can't see that a flush and inhibitor replacement is going to do any harm though.

Your pump probably already has isolating valves - whether they work or not is a different matter, because most of them are very poor quality.

I agree with Nstreet that these bits are not usually changed until they break down but the inconvenience and cost may welll be far higher than if you can do it yourself when it suits you. The bill won't be all that much in parts. Use a Honeywell valve and a Grundfos pump, with Conex isolating valves..

When you do your "flush", organise access points so that you can use the mains or a Flusher to clean things - better than just draining and refilling.

Might be time to update the programmer or maybe add a programmable thermostat, too.

Thanks very much for yr quick replies :)

Yes the pump does have, isolating valves! But the motorised valve DOES NOT!

Would you recomend fitting isolating valves, either side of the motorised valve? :confused:

Both the motorised valve AND the pump are BOTH ten years old, so would it be prudent to replace them both at this time :confused:

What is the normal life expectancy of these two components?

I fully understand the rationale of "if it aint broken", BUT at present I have time to DO THIS maintenance work (for my ex-wife and two young sons).....................

ALSO, Will COMPRESSION FITTINGS, be suitable/sufficient to carry out this work? :?:

And lastly; is it simple/straightforward to fit isolating valves, using compression fittings ? :cool:

Thanks in advance for the advice :D

Sponsored Links
use two of these
p1086816_l.jpg

they seal better than gate valves

compression is ok

you will have to drain the system

life expectancy is a "how long is a peice of string" question :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back