Central heating noises from hell

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Good evening.

I've got some noise problems in my central heating which is driving me effing nuts.

some back story.

I bought this house last year. it had a sentral heating system (Oil furnace). using oil for heating is banned in norway from 2020 (and oil is expensive to burn). so i "upgraded" to a Daikin Altherma LT heatpump (combi unit with intergrated DHW). all fine and dandy so far.

But, the big issue i have is extreme flownoise/drone sound from the piping when the waterpump goes full tilt to keep the preset Delta-T as acceptable levels.

the central heat piping and radiators was kept, and is the original ones from when the house was built (1970).

there are 13 Radiators.. 3 in the basement, 5 in the main level and 2 in the second floor.
pipes are a combination of 3/4, 1/2 and 3/8 Galvanic pipes.

is there anything i can do to combat this issue with me not going completly broke?

i've been thinking of maybe going pex, with manifolds and separate feeds to the radiators?
(atleast the ones that are bothering me the most i.e the bedroom and the ones close to it)

but will that even help?

the pump will put out about 40/l min at max. but will modulate itself as it see fit. the daikin unit has full control of the waterpump. and decides for it self how much flow it needs)

i can also add that there WAS flownoise with the Oil furnace too, but that was a manual Grundfos pump that was set at a low speed. so it wasn't too bad to live with.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back