Oil fired central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of questions.

I have a nu-way boxer oil fired boiler and on a pipe running from the furnace there is a Myra unit five pump.

The top of the furnace has a metal plate which is held down with 2 butterfly nuts which do not seem to pull the metal plate tight to the furnace. The result of this is it is very noisy. What can I do to cut down this noise?

The other thing is for someone to clarify my understanding of my system.
I assume the oil comes in from the tank by gravity and then is pumped by a small pump about a foot from the entrance to the burner.

The burner ignites the oil and heats the water in a store within the furnace.
This is then brought along the pipe by pressure for a few feet and then an electric pump then forces the water around the system.

Am i barking up the right tree?

Is there usually only one pump in the system and it is normally close to the boiler?

Do heating systems like this have the ability to heat only the hot water storage tank only and not both the tank and the central heating?

If anyone can give me any insight on anything I have asked/said i would be very greatful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i cant picture your boiler, nuway is a burner.
anyway, i m guessing the two wingnuts are the baffle access plate, perhaps the thread has stripped @ bottom, so bang washers on studs, so the wingnuts tighen before they hit the dodgy thread. or maybe wingnuts are f£kkd?
the oil pump can pull a fair distance, up to 100 feet i believe, and can also lift 20 ft, allegedly. the oil pump is located on end of burner motor.

:eek:

Perhaps the noise is the CM poison escaping into the room because the boiler chamber isnt sealed

Never ceases to amaze me :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find the rope under the plate is either missing or broken or looks like chewed string. just replace it with new. The plates tend to distort a bit as well, has yours got folded edges. :LOL:

If you are in Ireland theres a good chance the boiler is a Warmflow.

What i meant was that there is a pipe running from the furnace with a myra pump fitted about 3 foot up the pipe.

I looked at the baffle plate and there appears to be a piece of board under the plate which is cut smaller than the opening. This would be why there is a lot of noise due to there being no tight seal.

Should this board be there? If so what type of board should i use to replace it? Would a piece of plaster board be suitable?

Thanks

Em excuss me guys there's a health and safety issue at stake here.

Gas boiler would be riddor.

oil boiler just as dangerous.

That's how that plate is sealed tough d.i.a ,leastways mine is. :LOL:

paddy1,
Where is your boiler?
How old is it?
One pump is normal.
Do you have any motorised valves (chunky things on the pipes with wires connected to them)?
Depending on how old it is, your system may do hot water only by convection - with the pump turned off so no water goes to the radiators.
I had a system like this until a couple of years ago.

Another paddy.

curlydon said:
That's how that plate is sealed tough d.i.a ,leastways mine is. :LOL:

I know that. :LOL:

Asbestos type string stuck with silica

The point is it should be turned off as would a gas boiler.

Carbon monoxide will still kill you even from an oil boiler in nfact more so.

I'm wondering if his boiler is in an external boiler house? If anywhere like mine was it could be pumping CO merrily - environmentally unfriendly, but not really a H&S problem.

Panjandrum said:
I'm wondering if his boiler is in an external boiler house? If anywhere like mine was it could be pumping CO merrily - environmentally unfriendly, but not really a H&S problem.

You can't assume that until you know.

until you do the boiler is immediately dangerous

doitall said:
Em excuss me guys there's a health and safety issue at stake here.

Gas boiler would be riddor.

oil boiler just as dangerous.

Dangerous? How? Not as dangerous as an open fire AND we're allowed to have low level discharges of gas and oil flues.

.....until you do the boiler is immediately dangerous.

Better tell people who use paraffin space heaters then, oh, and let smokers know they are immediately dangerous too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back