Central Heating not coming on automatically

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a problem with my central heating not coming on and hope that someone can help point me in the right direction. I'm not massively experienced in this area so forgive me for using any wrong terminology. I'd like to try and fix it myself if possible or at least be confident of what the problem is so I can avoid any unnecessary expense. (Times are hard at the moment.)

It's a conventional system with:
Worcester 30CDi boiler,
Lifestyle LP241 Timer,
Drayton Digistat RF1 Wireless room thermostat,
Drayton Digistat SCR Wireless receiver,
Drayton MA1 Mid position actuator.

I can force the heating to work, but it doesn't come on itself , either on timer or by manual override, even though everything would indicate that it should. I.e. the light is on on the timer to indicate that the heating should be active, the green light is on on the Drayton receiver to indicate that the thermostat is active and the flame symbol is on the Digistat sender. Sometimes the valve actuator is in the W position at his point but sometimes it's on the H position but still the heating won't come on. I originally thought that the valve actuator was faulty so I brought a new one last week which I have fitted. It thought it was working ok for a few days afterwards but the weather was warmer at that time so the heating wasn't coming on as much.

My method for forcing the heating to come on is to reduce the setting on the Digistat sender so that the flame symbol goes out and the green light goes out on the receiver, then I switch the timer off and then switch the power off to the heating at the mains switch whereupon the pointer on the actuator returns to the W position if it was in the H position. I then switch the power back on, whereupon the red FAULT light is lit on the Digistat receiver, I then raise the temperature setting on the sender so that the flame comes on which makes the receive light flash on the receiver and then the green light comes on. I then switch the timer on which makes the actuator move to the H position and the heating comes on. However, often it will only stay on for a few minutes and then go off again (even though all the lights etc would indicate that it should still be on) so I go through all the procedure again and after a few attempts it will stay on.

Any ideas?

Steve

Sponsored Links
In the first instance I would take the front off the Digistat receiver and join the switch wires together temporarily.

I haven't checked (we no longer fit this pony and trap stuff) but I think it's terms 1 and 3.

See if this resolves the problem. Drayton receivers can indicate heating on but I have seen them with duff relays so they only sometimes actually switch the feed to the valve. The LED is not connected to the actual output so can be a misleading red herring when fault finding......

At one point, a merchant told me, around 50% of the Drayton radio SCR stuff was being returned in the warranty period.

Thanks Simond. You were right, joining the switch wires together turns the heating on. (It was terms 1 and 3 as you said)

I suppose I'll need to get a new unit. Is it ok to run the heating with the switch wires joined until I get one?

Sponsored Links
I can turn on manually my central heating but the timer wont work automatically is it a simple solution? water is working fine and so is the heating on manually the boiler is a greenstar 24i with a mt10 timer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back