Central heating not working as it used to be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

my heating and water i feel is bit messed up. before the problem i would have water and heating on whenever i needed for example i needed hot water either i switch it on from the programmer or it was timed on by me two times a day. And for heating would be constantly on from programmer but whenever i needed it on i would use the room Thermostat to start it. So this is before,

Now, they have to both (hot water and heating) on simultaneously on the programmer to be coming, for example hot water will not come on until heating is also on continuously from the programmer. if i switch hot water off from programmer heating is off even i have not switched off thermostat. Hot water does not come on the timer but only when on continuously with heating on continuosly on as well.

furthermore, the Gas meter is very fast now.

Thank you for the assistance in advance.

regards,
Sal

Sponsored Links
Please can you provide boiler make/model and also the thermostat/programmer make model too. Also have you had any work done / changes or anyone likely to have changed any settings since around the time the problem started? Also pictures might help if your able to take some of the boiler/programmer etc.. and upload.

Please can you provide boiler make/model and also the thermostat/programmer make model too. Also have you had any work done / changes or anyone likely to have changed any settings since around the time the problem started? Also pictures might help if your able to take some of the boiler/programmer etc.. and upload.

its a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 618 condensing boiler. Honeywell Thermostat (think it is a T6360 model) and a Honeywell programmer (ST9400C) as well.
About 6 months ago In had not hot water from Taps so i went online and thought issue was with the valve that is connected to the programmer.

its a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 618 condensing boiler. Honeywell Thermostat (think it is a T6360 model) and a Honeywell programmer (ST9400C) as well.
About 6 months ago In had not hot water from Taps so i went online and thought issue was with the valve that is connected to the programmer.

You can see from a picture how i reconnected the cables from the 3 port valve (the silver square box) to ST9400C programmer. However, that was not the problem anyway, the problem of no hot water that time was the ball valve in the tank.

Anyway its a bit messed up now. Hopefully i have provided enough info and photos.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 104
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
in the last six months basically once i had no hot water so researched and managed to change to a new 3 port valve and electrical connections that go with it very diligently making sure cables go exactly as they did before removing old one out. Hot water was still a issue even a plumber came and wiggled around the ballcock valve in water tank. Then couple of weeks ago had plumber come again he fixed the ballcock valve in water tank before that hto water coming in shower very rarely because waterf in tank not filling up.

As of now hot water is coming in shower but issue is central heating system is running not as it used to be. Oh also recently had some water leaking from the automatic air vent and had a expert come in who stopped the leaking from the air vent.

Hope this helps as i have put some history to back up.

Have you tried Homeserve?

You seem to have a lot of plumbing problems, try and find someone local who can check everything out for you, the snow is coming.

Andy

There's an couple of unidentified green cables in that wiring centre connected to strange things. You'd expect that green cables were only used for earth and, if you must use them, you'd hope to see some brown tape on it to show its carrying live.

The earth to your programmer is connected to something - potentially live but maybe not - it's unlabelled too! There's another earth going to your cylinder stat which seems connected to your programmer - a guess based on your pics.

I tried to reset the programmer to default settings but no avail, still both HW and heating need to on to work. Can't switch heating on unless HW is also on.

Its going to be a wiring issue I reckon. I'll try map out your wiring if you can identify where each of those cables in the junction box go to (and say which one) Also if safe to do so, I might need to see the wiring in that programmer.

There's something wrong with your wiring. Sounds like you've been making some changes yourself so anything could be wrong.

I tried to reset the programmer to default settings but no avail, still both HW and heating need to on to work. Can't switch heating on unless HW is also on.

Have you got a pic of the programmer's wiring?

Edit: seems omega posted at the same time :)

There's something wrong with your wiring. Sounds like you've been making some changes yourself so anything could be wrong.

Have you got a pic of the programmer's wiring?

Edit: seems omega posted at the same time :)

Only the wiring unit that is attached. But I remember I did had to re-attach the programmer unit as it was loose and screwed it back, only that I did. I am sure wiring instalment was good.

It's been working as required until yesterday. The 3 port motorised value is about 6 months old.

Can you turn all the power to the heating circuit and take a picture of the wiring behind the programmer?

I'd guess the green goes to heating ON, black goes to HW ON and grey is going to HW OFF (assuming the colours of the cables to the valves match the standard practice).

Yes I managed to take a picture of the wiring behind the programmer (pic now attached). Didn't play around with it just re-attached the unit back. But as I said before with pic attached before did re-wiring on the wiring unit when installing the new 3port motorised valve.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 79

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back