Central Heating On? Shouldn't Be!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Independent C24 using a receiver and digital thermostat.
It's set to pre heat off, winter mode (CH and HW).
As far as I'm aware it should not be coming on at all unless I tell it to.
I'm aware that there is frost protection if the water in the combi falls below x degrees, however this doesn't fall within my scenario.

Issue:

I've noticed that for no reason the CH turns on, my thermostat is typically set to no more than 23 degrees, one morning I woke up to the heating at 25 degrees (on the thermostat display), and it wasn't set to be on, nor was it showing as fired up on the thermostat.
It seems to do it randomly, at least once a day at no specific time for long periods (1+ hours).

When I noticed it was on, I checked the combi and there was no receiver light on, but the combi was on.
When it eventually turned off (sometimes I hit the mains switch to turn it off) I put the hot water tap on, the receiver light appeared as it should, I turned the CH on via the thermostat, and the receiver light come on as it should, so that aspect seems to be working fine.

But when ever the boiler comes on by itself, there is no receiver light, and the combi is just on doing it's own this.

It can be on for quite a long time too, to get my place to 25 degrees would take at least an hour from the current temperatures.

I thought I would change the receiver and transmitter frequency to check , however my receiver doesn't appear to have pins I can change, looks like it offers one frequency only (Salus BC600RX with a RT501RF(TX) thermostat).
I don't think this is the issue though.
I thought it could be a neighbours thermostat interfering but the receiver light isn't on so it cannot be that.

And thinking about the frost protection, surely that would only come on for a small period to heat the combi unit and not put the CH on for an hour plus.

Any thoughts please, anyone ever come across this before?

Sponsored Links
Your diverter valve is passing, the preheat is trying to get boiler to a set temp but cant as the water is passing into the heating, if you turn off the preheat it will solve the problem till you get the diverter changed.

Your diverter valve is passing, the preheat is trying to get boiler to a set temp but cant as the water is passing into the heating, if you turn off the preheat it will solve the problem till you get the diverter changed.

I thought op said preheat was already off?

Sponsored Links
The Salus could be knackered, a few people say they’re garbage. If you’re able to do so safely, you could try disconnecting the thermostat receiver live and switched wires in the receiver and see how that goes?

Chris_W, are you suggesting there would then be no power to the receiver and therefore it's out of the equation, then if the CH doesn't come on it indicates that a faulty receiver is causing the issue?
And if the receiver is unplugged, and the CH still comes on then it suggests an issue with the combi unit?
Seems like a good test.

The below is what I have, if I was to just unplug it completely would this test work the same, or do 3 & 4 need to remain connected for other reasons, does anyone know what these are for?

$_86.JPG

Yes I’m saying take it out of the equation. 3 and 4 are the common (live) and switch live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back