Central Heating Open vented - Air problem

I did not explain myself too well on that post.The overflow has a connection to it inside the tank which is about 4" long and points vertically down. I presume it is fitted to stop bugs/insects getting into the tank. The water level is 4" above the cold feed outlet. I hope that makes sense and many thanks for taking the time to dig through the history
That sound OK,though the vertical extension to the overflow is odd, unless it has a mesh or similar inside to prevent bugs entering.

Have you ever had your system balanced? If so, what was the procedure followed?

As all radiators get hot very quickly it is something I have not tried

Sponsored Links
I am extremely grateful to all who have put forward suggestions which have been many. My problem is down to somehow air being sucked into the system. I have modified piping which has not improved things. I have cleaned system twice. So at a loss on best way forward. There are no evident leaks

Some more information that may help. I have noticed that with the pump running if I place my finger on the cold feed/expansion outlet in the expansion tank there is a high degree of suction. Is this correct ?

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled, but I've been reading your posts again.

nairb999 said:
I have a Potterton Prima 60F Central Heating system - simple heating system with 16 rads each with TVR so no room stat.
If you do not have a room stat the boiler will continue cycling on and off, even if all the TRVs have closed down. In this situation the pressure in the system will rise and could give rise to noise in the pipes.

What happens if you remove all the tops from the TRVs, so they do not operate?

You need to fit a room stat.

Do you have any way of measuring the flow and return temperatures at the boiler, e.g a contact or infrared thermometer? With the boiler stat set to max they should read 82°C and 71°C.

I have noticed that with the pump running if I place my finger on the cold feed/expansion outlet in the expansion tank there is a high degree of suction. Is this correct ?
Presume you mean the outlet which is under water at the bottom of the F/E tank. The cold feed is the neutral point so there should not be any suction there. Is the F/E tank continually filling up?

DP said:
Setup should be boiler flow with first tee branch going to vent, within 150mm second tee branch going to feed (usually branch points downwards- feed/ expansion pipe inverts on itself to connect to this tee). Pump is fitted now to pump forward (away from aforementioned tees)
Some say (e.g. Danfoss) that the correct order should be: cold feed; open vent; pump.

You could also try an Aerjec, but it must be installed as per the instructions as the orientation is critical to correct working.

no difference - in fact I have run the system with only one radiator operating and it runs quieter ie the less time the boiler is on the quieter the system runs

Do you have any way of measuring the flow and return temperatures at the boiler, e.g a contact or infrared thermometer? With the boiler stat set to max they should read 82°C and 71°C.

I don't but will make some enquiries if it could assist

Presume you mean the outlet which is under water at the bottom of the F/E tank. The cold feed is the neutral point so there should not be any suction there. Is the F/E tank continually filling up?

Correct and I feel this is where my problem lies but can't understand why if the system is correctly piped

You could also try an Aerjec, but it must be installed as per the instructions as the orientation is critical to correct working

I have thought about this as a solution - is it possible you could sketch me a layout based on my configuration if you feel that is the best solution

Sponsored Links
no difference - in fact I have run the system with only one radiator operating and it runs quieter ie the less time the boiler is on the quieter the system runs
You said, if I remember correctly, that the problem only occurs when the boiler is hot. Have you tried turning the boiler thermostat down a bit and seeing what happens? Can you get a setting where there is no noise?

Do you have any way of measuring the flow and return temperatures at the boiler ...
I don't but will make some enquiries if it could assist
I was thinking that maybe the pump is not properly sized for the boiler and the number of rads. If you cannot achieve the 11 degree difference at the boiler, it's probably because the pump is too small

Presume you mean the outlet which is under water at the bottom of the F/E tank
Correct
Does that answer apply to this question as well
Is the F/E tank continually filling up?

You could also try an Aerjec,
could sketch me a layout based on my configuration
Here are the Aerjec Instructions

One of the options in Diagram 4 is the one to follow. The Aerjec must be installed with the vent at the top as shown in the diagram. It will need some plumbing changes, but I'm sure you can work that out. [/url]

why not just combine the feed and vent as i suggested before, take 30mins to do it temporary with a couple of compressions just to test it. Usually works..
All in all, I would combine feed&vent into an air seperator, similar to what DH has suggested but with only the vent pipe connection, and then stick some x400 round the system to get on top of any corrosion issues. job done.

why not just combine the feed and vent as i suggested before, take 30mins to do it temporary with a couple of compressions just to test it. Usually works..
All in all, I would combine feed&vent into an air seperator, similar to what DH has suggested but with only the vent pipe connection, and then stick some x400 round the system to get on top of any corrosion issues. job done.

Many thanks again for your assistance. On your previous suggestion you intimated that this would work if air is being drawn down the vent pipe. Other than when the pump kicks in and there is suction for a second there is much more suction on the feed hence my search for possible other solutions.

Many thanks again for your assistance. On your previous suggestion you intimated that this would work if air is being drawn down the vent pipe.

indeed I did, and its very possible it will. Certainly won't do any harm and won't cost you very much, bar a few fittings and your time. Providing there are no other obvious reasons for your problem then this is what I would do.

More responses to DH

You said, if I remember correctly, that the problem only occurs when the boiler is hot. Have you tried turning the boiler thermostat down a bit and seeing what happens? Can you get a setting where there is no noise?

Reduced noise but on a very low setting

Is the F/E tank continually filling up

No only what you would expect due to expansion

I was warming to this suggestion before reading the attached note in the leaflet

The cold feed and vent should not be combined into one
pipe before entering the Aerjec as this may slow or stop water
entering the system during the initial fill or subsequent
de-aeration.
[/b]

Don't worry, this is reffering to a system where there is basically just a 22mm cold feed and no vent pipe as opposed to a "combined" vent&feed, ie joined together. Seen it done in new builds, and is indeed a nuisance to fill up.

Don't worry, this is reffering to a system where there is basically just a 22mm cold feed and no vent pipe as opposed to a "combined" vent&feed, ie joined together. Seen it done in new builds, and is indeed a nuisance to fill up.

Thankyou for clearing that up. So I could initially try combined vent & feed and if no improvement leave as is and fit air seperator which would be a simpler job

I did not explain myself too well on that post.The overflow has a connection to it inside the tank which is about 4" long and points vertically down. I presume it is fitted to stop bugs/insects getting into the tank. The water level is 4" above the cold feed outlet. I hope that makes sense and many thanks for taking the time to dig through the history
That sound OK,though the vertical extension to the overflow is odd, unless it has a mesh or similar inside to prevent bugs entering.

Have you ever had your system balanced? If so, what was the procedure followed?

After spending so much time on system cleaning and piping modifications I did some research on system balancing and after several weeks of trial and error ie tweaking lockshield valves - on some radiators an awful lot I have got a resolution to the problem. I never thought this was an issue as all radiators did get hot in a relatively short amount of time but now they all get hot at about the same rate with no excessive system noises and no air in the system

Many thanks D Hailsham - a simple resolution without further expenditure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back