Central heating pipe configurations

• Thread starter Deleted member 137318
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137318

Hello, I have searched for an answer in the Wiki but can seem to find a topic to cover it - hopefully someone can put me straight?

We are having an extension built that will include 3 new radiators. The boiler and pump are up to the task of supplying the new rads but the question I have is about the pipe configurations.

Is it OK to just tee into the current 22mm flow and return pipes to serve these three rads or should I try to locate the first and last rad on the existing circuit thus creating a 'proper' circuit with a beginning and an end?

This diagram suggests that just teeing into the 22mm flow & return is OK (pretend if you like that the ground floor is my new extension). In my head though, I imagine the flow just bypassing the 'teed' off part - leaving cold rads.

This diagram (excuse the shoddy editing), to me, represents to correct way. Am I worrying needlessly?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the quick response - much appreciated!

unless immistaken your heating return is teed in after the HW return which could cause reverse circulation in the rads. The HW should be the last tee on the return

Sponsored Links
unless immistaken your heating return is teed in after the HW return which could cause reverse circulation in the rads. The HW should be the last tee on the return
I can only see one common tee.

Apologies, the drawing is very crude. It was more to illustrate what I was trying to describe rather than provide an accurate layout.

The important thing is that I can simply tee into the existing flow/return and balance the rads accordingly - which kinda raises another question: all the new rads (and the old ones - eventually) will have TRVs fitted. Will this make balancing the system difficult seeing that I won't have control over the flow rate to each rad?

should this be a new post or is it OK to continue in this thread??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back