Central Heating Pipes Through rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put 15mm JG speed fit pipes through an rsj beam for the central heating.

What size hole should I drill for this? I was thinking 20 - 25mm so I can sheath the pipes

Should I use a step drill bit, hss bit or a starrett hole saw? Or anything else that is recommended?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The first thing to do is check what size holes, if any, are permitted to be drilled through said RSJ. A structural engineer will be able to advise on that

The first thing to do is check what size holes, if any, are permitted to be drilled through said RSJ. A structural engineer will be able to advise on that

We've consulted an engineer who has advised 20-25mm will be fine for two pipes return and flow

Sponsored Links
Work your way up to 13mm with normal HSS bits then get a couple of blacksmith's bits from Toolstation. Just remember, bigger the hole the slower the drill speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back